Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2012, 02:47 AM   #1 
Ichthos

New here and probably asking a stupid question

Hey all! I just got a Delta fin Betta two weeks ago and I kind of caught the aquarium bug. So I went out and bought a 10 gallon tank with the intent on getting a few more fishies to hang out with my Betta. I was considering getting a small school of Neon Tetras or maybe some Platys but after reading up on Bettas a little more I've discovered that Bettas have their own individual temperaments and that aggressive Bettas should probably be left by themselves.

So I was wondering if it would be a good idea to buy just one Tetra and putting him in the tank with my Betta and seeing how things work out before I drop 5 in the tank only to find out that they're all going to get eaten. However, I know that Tetras like to hang out in schools so I'm concerned as to if swimming solo for a few days would stress the poor little dude out.

Anyway, I have a sparsely decorated 10 gallon tank with a little plastic plant and a little set of Greek columns. I get paid on Friday where I'll be buying a heater, more decorations and plants and all of that good stuff. I don't know if this is important or not but felt like it might be of some use.

Anyway, thanks for your help! Forgive me if I sound naive or ignorant but I'm just really excited about having an aquarium as fish are a completely new and undiscovered frontier for me.
Ichthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:12 AM   #2 
Fabian

You can add 6 neon tetras but prepare another tank for emergency.
Some bettas will live peacefully with other fish and some don't.
For your tetras to be safe,i would add some live plants as cover.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:32 AM   #3 
ravenwinds

I agree with above. Most bettas won't worry about small school of neon tetras, they are a middle water column fish and your betta will spend most of his time at the top. Don't do platys as they are more rambunctious and nosy and will irritate your betta.
Younger bettas like one recently purchased are easier to acclimate to other fish...probably still remembers community pool with his siblings.

If you plant more plants and have some floating, it will break up line of sight so even if he chases neond out of "his territory/spot," they will have a place to get out of his sight which will usually end aggression.
I have never had an issue occur between bettas and neon sized fish like platys.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #4 
Fabian

I've ever tried to feed my betta with live deformed guppy but he refused.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #5 
registereduser

You will want to quarantine the neons for a few weeks to make sure they are not sick. Better safe than sorry.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #6 
ravenwinds

Good point registered user! If betta isn't in 10gallon yet, maybe put the neons in there for quarantine period as they need heated and filtered (moving and oxygenated) water whereas your betta can live in 1gallon or more of non-filtered water (but clean and heated) indefinitely. I don't know what your set-up is, but most people who have a betta in a larger aquarium usually have either the original fish bowl/tank that they had betta in or a Kritter keeper set aside for hospital quarantine. Your betta would be better suited to temporaraily house in a hospital tank than the neons.
I apologize if you already know this, I just didn't want to take it for granted that you understood this :)
Old 11-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #7 
Ichthos

Thanks Ravenwinds!

My current set up is heatless and filterless, if only for the moment. Like I said I get paid on Friday so that's when I'm going to buy a heater, a filter, some more gravel, plants and decorations. Speaking of which, I'm open to suggestions on ALL of those.

However my concern is that Ichthos(my Betta. The username isn't a coincidence) has a bit of fin rot going on and I'm in the midsts of trying to treat it. So I have no idea if I should continue treating him in the 10 gallon or move him to the little half gallon that I got when I first got him when I get my Tetras. I'm starting to think I got in a little over my head.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #8 
ravenwinds

It will be easier to treat him in the 1/2 gallon since you should be changing the water every day...
1: I would move him to the hospital tank and continue treatment, changing water every day and adding the med or aquarium salt so water always has proper dose in it...the clean water alone will be beneficial to his healing.
2: get your heater (make sure it is adjustable...I go for whatever heater is cheapest as long as it's adjustable), filter (don't waste money on "bio-wheels" as study I read shows no discernable improvement. Since you are new to this, go simple and get a Hang on Back (HOB) of tank filter. It is OK if there is a bio-wheel, but its not necessary. Whispers, aquaclear, and penguin are all ok...they all function about same, I like any filter that has a sponge for collecting more of your good bacteria...usually in addition to filter cartridge), and accessories as soon as possible.
3: please read the sticky on this site under betta housing re: CYCLING your tank. It is why I say put betta in old home right now....before you add any fish, shrimp, snails to your tank, itneeds to be cycled which means that you set tank up with gravel, filter, heater, a cave (i use glasses or candle holders, etc) for your betta to hide in and relax, and plants and let it run for quite a while (longer than a week in most cases) in order for the good nitrifying bacteria to become established...this ensures that your fish waste such as ammonia will be broken down into less harmful molecules. This makes it possible to do less water changes!
4: PLANTS....I almost always suggest live plants or a combination live and silk (you can get these at a craft store or walmart to save $ and give you more variety...just make sure you choose silk (synthetic) flowers/plants that have no glue, glitter, et,). If you are going to have a community w/different species such as betta and neons, you will want many plants, and maybe some cool rocks or driftwood, to break up line of sight and make natural areas where the different species can carve out a territory.
Live plants: are great, natural, will help by absorbing ammonia (sometimes called the silent killer!) and other toxic substances from the water. If you go for live plants, you will need adequate lighting from your hood...minimum of 6500watts (if your hood has sockets, you can get those fluorescent "coiled" energy saver bulbs at pet store or walmart (with other light bulbs, not pet section)...look for "daylight" bulbs. This should be enough to grow most "low light" plants such as java fern, anubias, some cryptocorynes...try to get a variety of these. Most importantly, get some stem or bunch plants such cabomba, ludwigia, hornwort, water sprite, wisteria...these grow fast once they're rooted in the gravel...because they grow so fast, they have increased uptake of ammonia, etc, which makes for a healthier tank and fish.
5: do not buy neons until tank is cycled!
Old 11-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #9 
Ichthos

Awesome! Thanks for all of the advice, guys!
Old 11-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #10 
ravenwinds

You're welcome! If you have any more questions,just ask,here or "private message" me!