Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #11 
Lissa3116

I feed him nutrafin max "color enhancing flakes"
No tank mates
Tank is 1.5 g
Temp is just below 80 and I have a submersible heater
Lissa3116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #12 
bryanacute

Okay! He should b pretty set then, the only thing I would say is bad r the flakes. Try to feed pellets
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #13 
Lissa3116

I was planning on it, just waiting for them to finish up. They are almost done. I am getting a bigger tank to. A 3.5 gallon or 5.5 gallon.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #14 
bryanacute

Okay!
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #15 
Spencerjunie

make sure you always keep an eye on the algae levels. if the tank glass starts getting foggy by itself, i recommend snails. you can buy them for cheap at petsmart
Spencerjunie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #16 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Welcome, I would rather give more details and info then you want since if you are new to fish keeping it can seem scary trying to find stuff that would be good for your tank and not knowing because then you let one of the worst things happen, you take advise from a petstore employee that 805 of the time don't know what they are talking about. You end up buying like a .5 gallon tank, then finding a website like this and you waste money.
So true! Lol years ago when I first started my betta keeping I didn't know anything about them! Bought 2 .5 gallon divided tanks for them (2 fish, took dividers out cuz I felt like .25 was too small) then I looked online and realized EVERYTHING was wrong lol. It didn't turn out to be a complete waste though, I now use those .5's for QT tanks but still, always better to research before you buy anything
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #17 
Lissa3116

Yeah.. My tank is pretty cloudy and I have no idea why. Doing a tank change tomorrow ...
Old 11-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #18 
Wendyjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencerjunie View Post
First, get the right water in the tank. Next insert the decorations and gravel. Let tank cycle for about 1-2 weeks. Every 1-2 weeks the tank needs to be cleaned. purchase gravel vacuum. before you clean have fresh water ready put fish in separate cup. use vacuum to empty tank. refill tank. enter fish. to introduce your beta hold the container in-your hand while it is open. slowly dip your container in the tank so your beta can swim out on its own. let beta explore for a half hour so it can get used to their new environment. then only feed the beta a very small amount of food
This is bad information that makes no sense and is potentially harmful for the fish. If you plan to cycle the tank 1) it will take longer than 1 or 2 weeks and 2) there is no need to empty the tank or remove the fish - the whole purpose of cycling a tank is to avoid having to do all that stuff. I believe that the person giving this advise does not understand the nitrogen cycle.

A properly cycled tank only needs weekly partial water changes. A tank that is NOT cycled will need 100% water changes.

Please read up on the nitrogen cycle if you are interested in cycling the tank,
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, new aquarium, tank