Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
My betta ... has schooled?

Okay, I have a 10 gallon aquarium.

Population: 8
1 clown pleco
6 cloud minnows
1 lovely betta

I got him young, he has almost doubled in size from when I got him. He is very peaceful, haven't had a problem with him and the other fish. Its 78 degrees in there which to my understanding is a comfortable temperature for bettas.

I can't get Ranmaru the betta to flare. I have tried mirrors, sterilized bits of brightly colored fabric (With my bettas this has usually worked).

What is even odder is he seems quite content to chill with the minnow school for most of the day. There is no nipping and everyone seems happy, but ... I've never had this happen nor heard of it happening.

Do I have the one odd betta that thinks he's a minnow?
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #2 
homegrown terror

bettas are very intelligent, curious fish, but also very solitary. they don't have much, if an, schooling instinct. it's likely the minnows have piqued his curiosity, and he's following them around studying them, the way a cat would with a litter of puppies.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #3 
Kuronue

Well I'll just hope it doesn't turn predatory then XP I do have a divider I can install and a separate tank if things go really bad, I'm just hoping it doesn't come down to that.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #4 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuronue View Post
Well I'll just hope it doesn't turn predatory then XP I do have a divider I can install and a separate tank if things go really bad, I'm just hoping it doesn't come down to that.
how long has he been following them? in my own (limited) experience with community bettas, you'll know in a couple of hours whether there will be hostility. also, i think most aggressive attention a betta would have towards a fish the size of a minnow would be territorial, not predatory. they tend to go after insects and other insect-sized food, rather than hunt a fish that's about the same size as them.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #5 
bryanacute

Hmm… I agree with the fact that he is studying them. How long have they been together and has he had resent activities with them. ( has he shown any interest in them. )
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

from my uderstanding thia little guy has always been in a community. it is not strange for bettas to develop unique personalities. he may actually just be used to the company. And also if they are all fed together, maybe he equate following the minnows to getting food :)

I wouldnt worry too much about the minnows being eaten, wc minnows comefrom high current streams, it is highly unlikely that a betta will catch one, if he does begin to show agression the minnows should be able to avoid him.

I have 1/2in H formosas with my betta, and even in a small 2.5g space they can avoid him just fine.

Last edited by ao; 11-09-2012 at 12:52 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #7 
Kuronue

He'll follow them, they'll follow him. Its been going on since I introduced him, so for a few weeks.

As long as he stays mellow, and they don't get nippy I'm not too worried. I just wondered if I got the odd guy XD
Old 11-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #8 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuronue View Post
Okay, I have a 10 gallon aquarium.

Population: 8
1 clown pleco
6 cloud minnows
1 lovely betta

I got him young, he has almost doubled in size from when I got him. He is very peaceful, haven't had a problem with him and the other fish. Its 78 degrees in there which to my understanding is a comfortable temperature for bettas.

I can't get Ranmaru the betta to flare. I have tried mirrors, sterilized bits of brightly colored fabric (With my bettas this has usually worked).

What is even odder is he seems quite content to chill with the minnow school for most of the day. There is no nipping and everyone seems happy, but ... I've never had this happen nor heard of it happening.

Do I have the one odd betta that thinks he's a minnow?
also, i do not reccomend a pleco in a 10 gallon, let alone a 20 gallon
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #9 
Kuronue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
Well, I've had her almost 8 years now. I didn't know any better at the time that I got her. Luckily she's a pygmy type and she doesn't have to share the bottom of the tank with anyone.

I know its not reccomended now, but my local shops aren't willing to take her in because most don't sell her type.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #10 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Not all plecos get huge. The one the OP has stays small - about 3-4 inches. With high filtration, 10 gallons would work. Although some sites say 20 or 30 gallons is the minimum. Kinda like some people say 1 gallons are good for bettas and others say No, they need 5 gallons..
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote