My betta ... has schooled?

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  bryzy 
#1 ·
Okay, I have a 10 gallon aquarium.

Population: 8
1 clown pleco
6 cloud minnows
1 lovely betta

I got him young, he has almost doubled in size from when I got him. He is very peaceful, haven't had a problem with him and the other fish. Its 78 degrees in there which to my understanding is a comfortable temperature for bettas.

I can't get Ranmaru the betta to flare. I have tried mirrors, sterilized bits of brightly colored fabric (With my bettas this has usually worked).

What is even odder is he seems quite content to chill with the minnow school for most of the day. There is no nipping and everyone seems happy, but ... I've never had this happen nor heard of it happening.

Do I have the one odd betta that thinks he's a minnow? :shock:

#2 ·
bettas are very intelligent, curious fish, but also very solitary. they don't have much, if an, schooling instinct. it's likely the minnows have piqued his curiosity, and he's following them around studying them, the way a cat would with a litter of puppies.

#3 ·
Well I'll just hope it doesn't turn predatory then XP I do have a divider I can install and a separate tank if things go really bad, I'm just hoping it doesn't come down to that.

#4 ·
how long has he been following them? in my own (limited) experience with community bettas, you'll know in a couple of hours whether there will be hostility. also, i think most aggressive attention a betta would have towards a fish the size of a minnow would be territorial, not predatory. they tend to go after insects and other insect-sized food, rather than hunt a fish that's about the same size as them.

#6 · (Edited)
from my uderstanding thia little guy has always been in a community. it is not strange for bettas to develop unique personalities. he may actually just be used to the company. And also if they are all fed together, maybe he equate following the minnows to getting food :)

I wouldnt worry too much about the minnows being eaten, wc minnows comefrom high current streams, it is highly unlikely that a betta will catch one, if he does begin to show agression the minnows should be able to avoid him.

I have 1/2in H formosas with my betta, and even in a small 2.5g space they can avoid him just fine.

#7 ·
He'll follow them, they'll follow him. Its been going on since I introduced him, so for a few weeks.

As long as he stays mellow, and they don't get nippy I'm not too worried. I just wondered if I got the odd guy XD

#9 ·
Well, I've had her almost 8 years now. I didn't know any better at the time that I got her. Luckily she's a pygmy type and she doesn't have to share the bottom of the tank with anyone.

I know its not reccomended now, but my local shops aren't willing to take her in because most don't sell her type.

#10 ·
also, i do not reccomend a pleco in a 10 gallon, let alone a 20 gallon
Not all plecos get huge. The one the OP has stays small - about 3-4 inches. With high filtration, 10 gallons would work. Although some sites say 20 or 30 gallons is the minimum. Kinda like some people say 1 gallons are good for bettas and others say No, they need 5 gallons..

#13 ·
What a silly Betta! Seems like he's made friends!

#14 ·
Now I was h. Formosa buddies for my bettas.

#15 ·
Not sure on age, he's about doubled in size since I first got him but that alone probably isn't much of an indicator. If I can find something that will distract him long enough for a solid picture I'll post. He's a tad fast and I'm not the best with a camera in the first place.

#16 ·
Actually, you're not alone. I got a betta just yesterday and, being the least aggressive, I put him into a tank with white clouds and ghost shrimp. He's VERY curious about both, but he'll just follow them out of curiosity and they'll follow him in response. It's so cute!

At feeding time they'll all come and feed with him and he doesn't mind at all. No way the other bettas would let that pass.

#17 ·
It sounds like you happened to get a male betta with less dominant instincts than some, and you introduced him early enough to the minnows that he accepts them as part of his environment instead of intruders.

If he's young, it is possible that he could become a little more aggressive in the future but like Aokashi said, the minnows could easily get away from him.

#19 ·
Ah, what's interesting is that when I had my pygmy cories, one of them (Tigger) would follow Bubs around the tank instead of schooling with the others. Bubs never showed any hostility to the little guy surpsingly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.