Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #71 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

No a bigger tank would do better without a filter bigger spaces get dirtier slower.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #72 
Creat

Chocolate is right... the larger the tank the slower it gets dirty sense there is more water volume. Many betta cant handle filters. Large tanks and filters are separate problems.

OFL is also right I can keep a betta (healthy mind you) in a 1 gal jug (keep in mind these have java moss and have beneficial bacteria sense they have had fish for over a year) with no water changes just top offs for about 3 weeks feeding high quality food they dont dirty water that fast...

I would like to say this before you go and post about how bowls and small containers are wrong stop and think about people (like me) who love their betta and keep their "happiness" high up on the list. Just because my betta dosent live in a tank dosent mean he isnt happy... who are you to tell me my fish isnt happy... seriously I am tired of these threads... I have seen plenty of betta in large tanks "unhappy".

Last edited by Creat; 11-09-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #73 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I think if the fish is active, colorful, and healthy there envirement must be okay.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #74 
LittleBettaFish

What I do not understand from this entire argument is how people can be all for cramming a betta into a .5 gallon bowl, but then in the same breath will lynch mob someone who houses something like a 20 guppies in a 10 gallon tank.

How can you be for one type of overstocking (and yes a betta in a .5-1 gallon bowl is to me overstocking) and yet at the same time be completely against the overstocking of other species of fish?

The argument here seems to centre mainly on the quality of water, but this is just one part of successful fishkeeping. I have a male in a .5 gallon breeders' box inside a cycled tank as a temporary fix until I get some dividers and all he does is just swim in one direction until he hits the side of the box, circle around and then swim in the other direction. I really don't see how this is providing a stimulating environment for a fish.

I just think this site seems to be pushing more and more for smaller and smaller sized bowls and tanks than it used to. When I first registered here, many members advocated for the use of aquariums in the 3-5 gallon range. I saw a lot of condemnation when someone mentioned that they housed their bettas in anything less than the ideal.

I just feel that the advocacy I have been seeing lately for smaller aquariums is a step in the wrong direction, particularly for first-time fish-keepers. Bigger tanks are much more forgiving of the inevitable newbie mistakes and it is a lot easier to find and fit equipment for a bigger tank than it is to try and squeeze a heater into aquariums that are generally not designed to hold one.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #75 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have seen that too and the admniator when the website was setup said 2.5 now 1 and even .5 is being pushed. I see guppies as fast breeders you out 3 in a 10 and twenty 3 months later I agree that people seem to be more okay with Betta overstocking it seems many people outside this website view a 10 gallon Betta tank as a waste.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #76 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
What I do not understand from this entire argument is how people can be all for cramming a betta into a .5 gallon bowl, but then in the same breath will lynch mob someone who houses something like a 20 guppies in a 10 gallon tank.

How can you be for one type of overstocking (and yes a betta in a .5-1 gallon bowl is to me overstocking) and yet at the same time be completely against the overstocking of other species of fish?

The argument here seems to centre mainly on the quality of water, but this is just one part of successful fishkeeping. I have a male in a .5 gallon breeders' box inside a cycled tank as a temporary fix until I get some dividers and all he does is just swim in one direction until he hits the side of the box, circle around and then swim in the other direction. I really don't see how this is providing a stimulating environment for a fish.

I just think this site seems to be pushing more and more for smaller and smaller sized bowls and tanks than it used to. When I first registered here, many members advocated for the use of aquariums in the 3-5 gallon range. I saw a lot of condemnation when someone mentioned that they housed their bettas in anything less than the ideal.

I just feel that the advocacy I have been seeing lately for smaller aquariums is a step in the wrong direction, particularly for first-time fish-keepers. Bigger tanks are much more forgiving of the inevitable newbie mistakes and it is a lot easier to find and fit equipment for a bigger tank than it is to try and squeeze a heater into aquariums that are generally not designed to hold one.
I agreecompletely with you. Honestly, as a permanent home I would keep a betta in less than a 5 gallons if it's healthy. I find that now, there is a too much of a "I keep my betta in a 2 gallon and I'm PROUD" attitude. Feel free to keep it in a 2 gallon, you don't need to rub it in eveyon'es face! If we are willing to respect their opinions, they need to respect theirs!
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #77 
sareena79

Quote:
If we are willing to respect their opinions, they need to respect theirs!
well therein lies the problem, we havent had our opinion respected for quite some time. we have had it pushed down OUR throats how wrong OUR set-ups are whether we asked for the opinion or not, so we are finally standing up and saying HEY TO EACH HIS OWN! So u do it your way and we will do it ours and we will all get along just fine, right? now everyone go hug your fish :)
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #78 
dramaqueen
Banned

Mine are in containers ranging from 1 gallon to 2.5 gallons and they're fine. They don't have filters, either. I ri d filters to be a hassle. The fish don't like them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #79 
dramaqueen
Banned

Let's just agree to disagree.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #80 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Let's just agree to disagree.
i was about to say the same thing lol. too much arguing i think