Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #1 
amozahn

cheap lighting for 3 gal tank?

I purchased a 3 gal plastic Tetra tank from Walmart in order to rescue a new, strangely appealing betta from Petco.
Thanks to the info from this list, he survived and is doing well! I would like to add some plants to his tank, but all it has is the 9-bulb LED that came with. Surely this is not enough for even low light plants to thrive, because the tank gets no ambient light to speak of.
What are the options for lighting a small tank like this (without spending a lot of money). i would love to just put it near a window, but all the usable window spaces are already occupied...
amozahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #2 
deso

I'm using a terrific (and terrifically cheap) brand called UpAqua. The lights are powerful enough to grow most plants and look quite "design", too. There's another user here called LittleBettaFish who has an incredible biotope-looking tank and is using the same brand of light. You can find them on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Pet-Supplies...t&LH_PrefLoc=2

You could also buy a small plain desk lamp, but you'd have to check the bulbs to see if they're in the right colour spectrum and wattage, and replace them if not.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:14 AM   #3 
Gryphon

I use a desktop lamp (like this one, for reference) and a 13w spiral CFL that I got from my local home improvement store. Just make sure to look at the lightbulb package and take note of the color it gives. Mine is 6500k. I bought the lamp from goodwill ($2.99) and spent ~$6 on the bulb. I don't think there is an easier way to keep it cheap.

I should note this is on a 3 gallon tank. That might be helpful.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #4 
amozahn

That is exactly the look and the price that I was hoping to find...I'm gonna get one!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #5 
tromboneplaya

I would definitely suggest a desk lamp...you can get a pretty cheap one and just change the bulb to the right spectrum/wattage. Before I got an actual tank and just had kritter keepers all I used were desk lamps.
tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #6 
sareena79

this works great on my 2g so Im sure it would work for a 3g as well. I like thats is LED so it will last a really long time and not heat up the water PLUS it has a moonlight setting as well http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aquatop-LE...-Pets/16401608

heres a video on it as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNEiJ-R-Eb8
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #7 
amozahn

This is great, I didn't know there were so many lights that would support plant growth in a small tank...I also have a 5.5 gal Fluval Chi tank for one of my bettas. I am seriously thinking about buying a better light for that tank, toss the Chi filter, add a submersible filter, and create a plantscape in that nice tall tank, which is totally begging for a renovation...plants are almost as addicting as bettas!