Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #1 
Sapphoira

Better substrate vac?

So I've been using one of the cheap hand pump gravel vacuums for my 20 gallon divided tank, but I find the suction isn't sufficient to suck up some of the detritus from the few plants that didn't make it. Can anyone recommend a better vac? The bits of rotting plant aren't making a big difference in the ammonia of the tank (I check it every couple of days to be sure) but my substrate is natural sand and it sure looks gross on the sand!
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:59 AM   #2 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphoira View Post
So I've been using one of the cheap hand pump gravel vacuums for my 20 gallon divided tank, but I find the suction isn't sufficient to suck up some of the detritus from the few plants that didn't make it. Can anyone recommend a better vac? The bits of rotting plant aren't making a big difference in the ammonia of the tank (I check it every couple of days to be sure) but my substrate is natural sand and it sure looks gross on the sand!
I've never used it before, but may this be what you're looking for? Or something similar? :)

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Maint.../dp/B003T9W1B0

Also, you could pick out the rotten bits with clean hands, or put the net through the water. I do that after cleaning my tanks for bits that I may have missed, and it's great for clearing the water. :)
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #3 
Freyja
Banned

I have the Fluval one and I like it. It picks up a lot of the dying plant matter in the gravel.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:09 AM   #4 
Aurie

I use this one

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

Comes with a hose clip that works great with a Home Depot Homers Bucket (standard 5 gal orange bucket)

it's a shake to start but you can start it with the suck or lift method too. I have an old fashioned one but I use that for my betta tanks with little gravel. This one I use for my 10 gallon white cloud mountain minnow tank since it has more gravel. I bought it for a BGA outbreak so I could suck up during antibiotic treatment and it got it all out with no issues.
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote