Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #1 
jesskr77

temperature for fungus treatment

I never had a heater until yesterday. My betta has a fungus that has not really responded to my initial treatments using salt, bettafix and then maracyn oxy. Yesterday, i put a thread up on here and someone recommended increasing the temp to 80F (it was 73 before i added the heater) and adding jungle fungus clear.

I found tetra fungus guard which has the same ingredients so i started that last night and increased the temp. His growth which has remained essentially the same for over a month (maybe slightly improving if anything) grew considerably over night. Is the heat making it worse?
jesskr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:57 AM   #2 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesskr77 View Post
I never had a heater until yesterday. My betta has a fungus that has not really responded to my initial treatments using salt, bettafix and then maracyn oxy. Yesterday, i put a thread up on here and someone recommended increasing the temp to 80F (it was 73 before i added the heater) and adding jungle fungus clear.

I found tetra fungus guard which has the same ingredients so i started that last night and increased the temp. His growth which has remained essentially the same for over a month (maybe slightly improving if anything) grew considerably over night. Is the heat making it worse?
heat does make fungus worse, in general, I do not know if it applies to fish, but if it has grown then it could be.

I suggest you keep it around 75-78 but adjust the temperature slowly. Every 2 hours 1 degrees. Further questions ask Oldfishlady and sakura8 for advice :) I am not so knowledgable on fungus
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I think the meds you used are for bacterial infections, not sure if they would work on a fungus.

Quick cure which is basically malachite green will get rid of the fungus. It's marketed as an external parasite medication for Ick but it does also fight fungus.

True Fungal Infections
•Symptoms: White cottony like patches on its body or head, Lethargic, Not eating, Clamped Fins, Pale Colors
•Treatment: Conservative: Lower temperature below 76* F and treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Never continue salt treatments for more than 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective after 10 days or you see the fungus spread rapidly during the course of conservative treatment, move to medication. Add “Fungus Eliminator” by Jungle, API Erythromycin, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn II. Change water every day and add a new dose of the same medication. Continue until all fungus has disappeared.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote