Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-10-2012, 01:05 AM   #11 
LittleBettaFish
Member
 
LittleBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I think what you have mentioned in your post is the whole point of online forums. It would be a boring forum if everyone agreed with each other and there was no discourse.

It can be difficult if you are seeking an objective source of information for something like fishkeeping. While some things such as water quality are set in stone, a lot of what you read online and in books is essentially the personal experiences and opinions of the authors.

I think this is actually one of the more moderated forums I am a member/lurker on. Sometimes that is annoying when you actually want to have a friendly debate, but other times it does help stop threads completely derailing.

Do not take everyone who has a high post count to be experienced fishkeepers. I have seen some very incorrect advice given by members who are active on the forum (hence have a high post count) but who are not themselves properly informed or knowledgeable.
LittleBettaFish is online now  
Old 11-10-2012, 04:52 AM   #12 
asukabetta
Member
 
asukabetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Well from what I can tell, is that fish keeping is not an exact science, why? Because no two fish are the same, as well as the owner.

Therefore people have different experiences and advice on what they consider that "works", and thus their opinions on certain matter vary and sometimes is put up to debate.

There is no better way to take care of an animal, there is various ways to make fish happy and thrive, and it is all up to the owner to see what makes them that.

The advice given in this forums just helps to make a decision among many, based on the opinions given, but in the end it is your fish and you will do what you consider it is best.

I think the reason for which discussions appear is that many are very passionate about this hobby, which is good, because that means you will get great advice and tips when it comes down to it.

But I understand where you come from,tank sizes are one of the most controversial topics, however you do what you think that makes the betta happy. Cause as I just said, by the end of the day it is YOUR fish, and YOUR responsibility and if it is happy in a 1 gallon then why not?

So I think what can really help, is that with the help of the moderators (but not dependent on, however they have been very active in this forum I can assure you) we keep it friendly (control ourselves), even is someone is doing something we consider wrong, we should help them without offending them, or attacking them for doing it wrong, they are learning, and instead of scaring people away with mean comments, we should just understand that we all went through a learning process that is still ongoing. That is the beauty of fish keeping, there is always something new to learn.

It's all a matter of phrasing, though you do not agree with something you can always state your opinion, but there is a big difference between.

"That is no good, it's small, they need more than 2 gallons"

than

"I think a minimum 2 gallon might be better and make your fish happier because it will give it a bit more room to swim, plus wastes won't accumulate as fast"

That said, people who post a lot get a "status" like bronze, silver... but that has nothing to do with knowledge. Keep that in mind :) And people are very friendly here, I hope we did not scare you away, every member new and old is valuable, because it is what makes a community, just that.

And though we disagree sometimes, I hope you do not judge us for it. People always will disagree in certain points, it happens in life too. As I said no two people and fish are the same after all.

Last edited by asukabetta; 11-10-2012 at 04:55 AM.
asukabetta is offline  
Old 11-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #13 
Tikibirds
Member
 
Tikibirds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Warrensburg, NY
Is this site monitored by administration? There are several moderators, however I think most seem to stick to the Tropical Fish Keeping side of the site then on the betta subsection. The ones I see the most on here are Oldfishlady, DramaQueen, Sakura8 and Olympia. There are a few others but I don't remember who they are. I have no idea who actually owns the site.
What is this member status "Bronze", "Silver" etc etc.. It's just a status ranking you get via post count.
How do you get or earn this criteria and/or title?? The more you post the higer the status goes but it really has no meaning other then that. It seems some people post just to see their post count go up.

Just like any other forum, some topics are almost always going to start a fight between people. Tank size is one of them. Some say 1 gallon is good others will scream up and down no you need a monimum of 5 gallons and then there are the extreame fanatics like PETA that say one betta MUST have 10 gallons and then say tell you that you are a horrible person for imprisioning a fish in a tank.
Tikibirds is offline  
Old 11-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #14 
FoodFish
New Member
 
FoodFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
This forum is a gold mine of info if you read the stickies and use the search function. I also don't mind the odd disagreement as they can be informative and occasionally funny.
That's super true. I just joined and this forum has a lot more information than I could read in a week. Thanks!
FoodFish is offline  
Old 11-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Is this site monitored by administration? There are several moderators, however I think most seem to stick to the Tropical Fish Keeping side of the site then on the betta subsection. The ones I see the most on here are Oldfishlady, DramaQueen, Sakura8 and Olympia. There are a few others but I don't remember who they are. I have no idea who actually owns the site.
What is this member status "Bronze", "Silver" etc etc.. It's just a status ranking you get via post count.
How do you get or earn this criteria and/or title?? The more you post the higer the status goes but it really has no meaning other then that. It seems some people post just to see their post count go up.

Just like any other forum, some topics are almost always going to start a fight between people. Tank size is one of them. Some say 1 gallon is good others will scream up and down no you need a monimum of 5 gallons and then there are the extreame fanatics like PETA that say one betta MUST have 10 gallons and then say tell you that you are a horrible person for imprisioning a fish in a tank.
If a PeTA member came here they would be screaming at us for just keeping fish in tanks.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
Old 11-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #16 
shellieca
Member
 
shellieca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario, CA
There is a lot of misinformation & immature comments on this forum that is why I actually have other forums I use. When I joined this forum I thought it would be all about caring properly for Bettas & would have more experienced, more caring members but have found that is not the case. I take the info with a grain of salt & usually do more research before taking the advice. There seems to be only a few members here who really want better for the Bettas which is a shame. I tend to only read the threads that pertain to the proper care of Bettas & not the silly rantings.
shellieca is offline  
Old 11-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #17 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
I usually do that but with my twenty gallon rearanging I only took Romads advice. I have learned a lot of Betta care.

Last edited by ChoclateBetta; 11-10-2012 at 10:01 AM.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
Old 11-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #18 
registereduser
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I think what you have mentioned in your post is the whole point of online forums. It would be a boring forum if everyone agreed with each other and there was no discourse.

It can be difficult if you are seeking an objective source of information for something like fishkeeping. While some things such as water quality are set in stone, a lot of what you read online and in books is essentially the personal experiences and opinions of the authors.

I think this is actually one of the more moderated forums I am a member/lurker on. Sometimes that is annoying when you actually want to have a friendly debate, but other times it does help stop threads completely derailing.

Do not take everyone who has a high post count to be experienced fishkeepers. I have seen some very incorrect advice given by members who are active on the forum (hence have a high post count) but who are not themselves properly informed or knowledgeable.
^^^^perfectly said!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
There is a lot of misinformation & immature comments on this forum that is why I actually have other forums I use. When I joined this forum I thought it would be all about caring properly for Bettas & would have more experienced, more caring members but have found that is not the case. I take the info with a grain of salt & usually do more research before taking the advice. There seems to be only a few members here who really want better for the Bettas which is a shame. I tend to only read the threads that pertain to the proper care of Bettas & not the silly rantings.
I disagree, everyone here is a caring member. BUT many are also under the age of 15 so that explains a lot of the "tone" you might "hear" on the board.

As for the ranting, you have stumbled upon the "Lounge" forum which is OFF TOPIC on purpose. Some of the members like to talk about other things besides bettas sometimes.
registereduser is offline  
Old 11-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
I am under 15 too. I also see a lot of the members have a disablity of some kind. I usually dont know when I say something rude that is why I attend so many social skills learning groups and I have learned so many social skills here.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
Old 11-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #20 
registereduser
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I am under 15 too. I also see a lot of the members have a disablity of some kind. I usually dont know when I say something rude that is why I attend so many social skills learning groups and I have learned so many social skills here.
Choc! You certainly have because what you just wrote is easily understood and grammar is pretty good! Rock on!
registereduser is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dealing with electricity, whats safe and whats not safe!? Friendlyfishies Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 12 09-23-2012 04:57 PM
whats up! deekim916 Betta Chat 10 01-02-2011 03:35 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.