Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

..What just happened

Before anyone bashes me on what I'm about to say, READ EVERYTHING.

So I rearranged the dividers in the 10 gallon and put Bubs back in. This time I kept a VERY close eye on him. The tank lid was propped open and I had my hand over the tank with the net in the other. I was prepared so in case anything happened I could separate them. And then Bubs got out. He managed to wiggle his way through the smallest gap (he took a few scales with him) and got onto Squirt's side.

What shocked me was that instead of him swimming right towards Squirt (he was right in front of him) he fled. He nstantly went to the other corner and hid. Squirt took no notice to him whatsoever. So I kept Bubs in the tank for a good 5 minutes and watched his behavor. And again, any time he was entering Squirt's area, he swam away. At one point they crossed each other's eyes sight (I literally jumped and had the net in the water) but they did nothing. Didn't even flare :/

I removed Bubs after he got himself stuck behind the filter (he found Lucky interesting), and he's back in the 1 gallon until I set up the 5 gallon again.

But to be honest, I'm so confused o.o
The last time they ended up having a flaring contest, but Bubs still stayed away from Squirt. Is it possible that because of Squirt's fins, he looked bigger and maybe more threatening even without flaring?

And just to clarify, no I did not put Bubs back in for the intent of watching him attack Squirt. I put him back in because I adjusted the dividers and I felt no gaps. Obviously, a betta can. I just took pre emptive steps since it did happen yesterday and there was a chance it would happen again.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #2 
DiiQue

Bubs probably realized he was in Squirt's territory and didnt want to make the "owner" mad. I bet once he took to his surroundings, things would be a different story though.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #3 
Alcemistnv

Ahhh! That could've explained why he was flaring at Squirt when Squirt got close to the divider. Squirt noticed the gap too but didn't take any action. Instead he went back to his bubble nest.

That's actually very interesting!
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #4 
Creat

I have had males side by side and I guess they learn who each other is and eventually they stop being super territorial. Unlike males for show (secluded all the time to make sure they flare when shown) some boys I dont bother with. Also they could have recognized each others scents sense they are divided.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #5 
Setsuna

It's simple, he simply got scared or is scared. When one Betta won't flare at the other Betta then he's scared. It's hard to tell if they are scared or not unless they are wild Bettas cause show Bettas don't lose color (some do some don't)when they are stress or scared. But to me he's scared. Just don't let them see each other again for a while. Wait a week or two he'll gain his courage back
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:10 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

I wondery why he didn't wiggle his way back to his side if he was scared.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

He may be keeping an eye on him waiting for the perfect attack time.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote