Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #1 
Imagine

Exclamation Divider for bowfront

I have a 5g bow front tank that I need to divide, but I can't really figure out how...I originally made one out of one of those transparent, flexible binders, but my fish are really small and somehow managed to pass it. I would use needlepoint canvas and those report clips, but I doubt that would work since the tank is bow front. I can't buy another tank or a kritter keeper (no room), so what would you suggest?
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #2 
Imagine

Bump
Old 11-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #3 
tromboneplaya

I don't really see why you couldn't make one out of the craft mesh and report spines. I would just use aquarium sealant and glue it in. Even though the front is bowed it shouldn't be an issue to get a binder spine to work. Is the tank something like a mini bow? or is it like a round glass bowl? a pic of the tank you have would probably help....
tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #4 
Imagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromboneplaya View Post
I don't really see why you couldn't make one out of the craft mesh and report spines. I would just use aquarium sealant and glue it in. Even though the front is bowed it shouldn't be an issue to get a binder spine to work. Is the tank something like a mini bow? or is it like a round glass bowl? a pic of the tank you have would probably help....
My tank looks kind of like the Aqueon 2.5 mini bow but bigger (I would tell you the brand but I lost the box) the thing is, I want the divider to be removable, just in case I take one out or something like that. I'll try posting a pic of it tomorrow. Also, where can you buy needlepoint canvas?
Old 11-10-2012, 04:02 AM   #5 
Aurie

I bought needlepoint canvas at michaels or other craft stores. I didn't see any at my local joann's .. my friend is from Texas and is always saying how oregon needs a hobby lobby, I'd look for one of those.. it's usually about $1 a sheet and comes in many colors. Keep in mind that large holes are good for water to pass through, but fish can see the shadows of other fish. If you make 1 and it works, then I'd make 2 and put them about an inch apart. in the middle you could put a plant or something else that would block the view but not block water flow. If this was a 10 gallon i'd suggest the "heater/filter in the middle" technique but a 5 gallon is a bit small for that and the hood probably doesn't have room for the filter to be moved (specific cutouts).

I'm assuming this is an acrylic tank. You could use a very light amt of silicone on the back of the tank. It only needs to be a very thin layer on the report binder. The front would be held in with pressure. Cut the craft mesh about 2 rows more than needed to make a small "bow" to the mesh and it will push against the other side. When I made mine for my tank I also used a spine for the bottom to hold shape. I then covered them with gravel. The spines I bought were 2 black 2 red, 2 blue and 2 yellow.... I used a colored one on the bottom since it was hidden and black on the front and back. I also put a piece of electrical tape down the front to hide inperfections and it kind of made it look professional when it really wasn't..

Aurie
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #6 
Imagine

Great, thanks! But is there another type of glue I can use besides aquarium sealant? Out nearest Petco is kinda far away, and my mom is tired of buying me fish stuff, lol. Plus, my dad builds stuff often, so we have a bunch of types of glue and tape in the garage
Old 11-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #7 
Aurie

I seriously wouldn't trust anything else. Any hardware store would sell it too. Kind of like how Petco sells lights and light timers and other stuff you can find elseware. I get my stuff at lowes

I have seen that sealant at lowes for like $6. Check the bath and tub or electric section or clear g.e. water proof sealant
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote