Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #1 
MeganJo215

Baby Betta Care

Hey all!

So, I bought my second betta (male) a little over a month ago at Petco. First of all, let me just say that I got super lucky. I went there with the intention of buying a betta, and almost left without one because they all looked so horrible. Poor things... :( Almost all of them looked like they had fin rot, and some I thought were dead until I touched the cups and they started moving again. Ugh! Anyway, I found one beautiful male betta that actually looked relatively healthy and somewhat active but not crazy. lol He is one of the prettiest bettas I've seen, and I love him!

So, the point of this post. lol... While I was there, I noticed they have cups with labels that say "Male", "Female", and "baby" bettas. I had never seen them categorized as "Baby", and I don't know anything about breading/raising baby bettas... So, my questions is, what would you recommend for caring for the "babies"? I mean, they're so small you can't tell if they were male or female until they get older, so would you recommend keeping them by themselves until you can tell what their gender is? I wouldn't want to put more than one in a tank and have them fighting or anything... Thanks in advance!!
MeganJo215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I heard you can tell gender that young but do not know how. From my understanding they will need more protien to help with growth. I would do more water changes too. The sick ones with things like fin-rot you can save them fin rot AQ and clean water do a great job with fin rot.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #3 
moonsand0wls

Wow they're selling them really young aren't they. Yeah, I agree with the above^, they'll need more protein etc. Feed them live foods, like infusoria if they're that small, or daphnia etc.. It'll not only keep them healthy but active, having to work to get their food. Also make sure that their water temperature doesn't fluctuate! They can't tolerate it as much as adult Betta can. Don't have a filter in the tank, well, you can, but only a corner filter like a sponge filter. So that they don't get sucked up.

Are they as young as I think they are, though? :L
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

One inch long and I am pretty sure they are about 8 weeks and most pet stores sell ex breeders.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #5 
MeganJo215

Okay, thanks for the info! Any ideas about how to tell their gender that young, or if you should or shouldn't put them together? Just curious. :)

I don't know how old these babies are, but they are teeny tiny! I wish I had taken a picture. They probably weren't even an inch long... =/
MeganJo215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Well, all I recommend is a temperature of 80-82 and a high protein diet as CB said. :) You'll want them to grow quickly out of childhood. You can't tell their gender when they're this young, they may have eggspots which females have but also young males. You never know. (; You shouldn't put them together just in case.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Maybe the anal fin shape?
Old 11-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

I'm not sure.. All the fins are growing so it won't really help, even the ventrals.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Behavoir then how the react to ther fish.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

There isn't much of a difference with behavior among males and females unless breeding. We'll find out sooner or later.