betta fish

Old 11-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #151 
tanseattle

I works now. Thank you.
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #152 
tanseattle

3 Month + 4 Day Old

I sold 25 of them to local fish store and friends. The tank looks so empty now.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #153 
moonsand0wls

May I ask, how big is your grow out tank? Did you have them in a separate tank and transfer them into a bigger grow out tank? I'm just asking because I want to know what'd be best for my first fry :)
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #154 
tanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsand0wls View Post
May I ask, how big is your grow out tank? Did you have them in a separate tank and transfer them into a bigger grow out tank? I'm just asking because I want to know what'd be best for my first fry :)
Hi MoonandOwns, my grow out tank is 20 gal or about 80L. But 20 gal is not enough for my spawn. I have a large spawn with over 150 of them.

I should split them into 3 20gal tanks. But I do not have space for 3 tanks.

I hate to cull them but next time I may have to cull. Otherwise too many fries is very hard to care for all. I have to change water 2x a day (morning and at night).

So it depends on the size of the spawn. If you have large spawn like me, you will need about 2-3 20gal tanks or have to cull some.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #155 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanseattle View Post
Hi MoonandOwns, my grow out tank is 20 gal or about 80L. But 20 gal is not enough for my spawn. I have a large spawn with over 150 of them.

I should split them into 3 20gal tanks. But I do not have space for 3 tanks.

I hate to cull them but next time I may have to cull. Otherwise too many fries is very hard to care for all. I have to change water 2x a day (morning and at night).

So it depends on the size of the spawn. If you have large spawn like me, you will need about 2-3 20gal tanks or have to cull some.

Oh cool, I have a 21gal which I was wondering would be big enough to cater for my new spawn. I will be culling if I have a big big spawn as I probably can't cater for all either.

Also, when you put the female and male together to spawn, did you have them in a smaller tank, and then transfer the fry to the grow out tank? Or did you do both in the same tank?

Thank you :)
Old 11-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #156 
tanseattle

I put them in 10 gal tank. They grew up in 10 gal tank for 5 weeks then I vacuum most the water out then poor the 10 gal tank into 20 gal tank.

I hope you have the long 20 gal tank (not the tall one) because you need horizontal space (not vertical).

If you have a large spawn, you can poor 2/3 into a new 20 gal tank and keep 1/3 behind in the 10 gal tank.

Tan

POUR (tilt the tank and slowly pour). The 20 gal was half full. The 10 gal has very little water left. It float inside the 20 gal tank. So when you tilt the 10gal tank up slowly, it did not bother/disturbe the fish much. Then you keep tilting slowly, every thing wen smoothly for me.

Last edited by tanseattle; 11-10-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #157 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanseattle View Post
I put them in 10 gal tank. They grew up in 10 gal tank for 5 weeks then I vacuum most the water out then poor the 10 gal tank into 20 gal tank.

I hope you have the long 20 gal tank (not the tall one) because you need horizontal space (not vertical).

If you have a large spawn, you can poor 2/3 into a new 20 gal tank and keep 1/3 behind in the 10 gal tank.

Tan

POUR (tilt the tank and slowly pour)
I only have a 11US gal, a 1US gal and a 20US gal.

The 20 Is long, about 90.5cm long, and around 30cm high. I'm just going by memory, though. Would that be okay?

And sorry for asking questions lol. So, could I breed the Betta and raise the fry in my 11gal for five or so weeks, and then transfer into the 20gal? Or would I be better off breeding AND raising in the 20gal? I'd top up the water once the fry are old enough and free swimming. I would have to put them into a bucket or container whilst I top up the water, too, right? My male and females all have their own homes.

Would you mind if I mailed you?
Old 11-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #158 
tanseattle

I think it is ok to breed, raise, and grow out in 20 gal tank. I do not see why not.

When they are very small: I fortunate have a feeding bags (human medical supplies) that can adjust the volume flow so I hand the bag up and let it drips slowly, 1000ml drips about 15 minutes.

But I also you can use small cup and pour it into the tank slowly on the side of the glass. Or you can hang the plastic cup inside the tank and pour the water into the cup, when the cup full it will overflow into the tank. Just do it slowly. It will overflow w/o much bothering the fries.

Just control the way you pour the water into it that has less disruption.

Just your creative thinking.

For example you can use a small plastic basket or funnel and place a coffee filter and pour the water into it it. It will slow down the water and less disruption.

Make sure you mix water conditioner first before you pour it in.

Last edited by tanseattle; 11-10-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #159 
moonsand0wls

Cool, thank you! Love your spawns BTW!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #160 
rubinthebetta

Cool! I am now very jealous...beautiful fishies!
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote