Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #15351 
yyankeeyankeefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Did you know? I have met a good number of people who have depression, or other issues that cause dispute or problems in their lives. That fish, in the small tank may be all they are allowed to have. That small tank, may be the only size they are allowed. And you're right - it's their lifeline. Perhaps the only way they can still live their lives, is that fish. Imagine how someone would feel, in that situation, being told they are stupid, irresponsible, or should need have gotten that fish?

If someone on here can't understand that... Or anywhere that can't understand that... Then they have never felt the healing powers of any animal giving comfort to their human - whether by cuddling up to them, or just merely bei g there.
i agree with you. there are a lot of people who find pets to be their outlet. they are perfect. they don't talk back. they listen, and are comforting. sometimes we want to think of the world as perfect. like every person can afford/have a large tank. if someone is truly trying to do their best and it is apparent then let them be. i mean if they are keeping a large oscar in a 1 gallon tank..that is different. but the way you approach that should be done in a manner that isn't so aggression as it i have read sometimes. you have to remember that what you write is lacking in body language, tone of voice. so this is purely perception. someone can misread the same words someone else thinks is fine. it's all about how that person feels when reading.

sometimes you have to step beyond your comfort zone and into someone else's. don't be so quick to look down on others or judge them. being unbiased is dang near impossible at best. but recognizing your bias is the key.
yyankeeyankeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #15352 
moonsand0wls

It actually feels so weird talking about that part of me and not having people judge me or not want to talk to me or still talk to me and act funny towards me. It's nice, but talking about it also makes me feel like it's not real because I never talk about it. x_x
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #15353 
yyankeeyankeefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsand0wls View Post
I know what you mean... I like fish because I find them really therapeutic, calming and all that. I don't judge someone or lash at them for having heaps of fish in a tiny tank or anything, but if someone asks me why are their fish dying or getting really sick and they have lots of fish in a tiny tank, I let them know it may be a cause. But you're right, people shouldn't judge. I have depression and I find that fish make me happy, especially because it's something I can take care of, and they're calming to watch. It also randomly helps me with some other of my mental issues too.
i find it so relaxing when i can't sleep, or i have way to much on my mind. sometimes i just need that peace and quiet. the tranquility of it all. it's what helps me threw the week. being able to go and sit and watch the fish. it also helps my son with his hyperactive issues. there are so many therapeutic benefits to fish and other pets.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #15354 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyankeeyankeefan View Post
i find it so relaxing when i can't sleep, or i have way to much on my mind. sometimes i just need that peace and quiet. the tranquility of it all. it's what helps me threw the week. being able to go and sit and watch the fish. it also helps my son with his hyperactive issues. there are so many therapeutic benefits to fish and other pets.
Exactly! It is so healing, right?
Old 11-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #15355 
yyankeeyankeefan

Quote:
Exactly! It is so healing, right?
it's how we went from one small 10 gallon to 4 tanks. lol. i just wish that every person could understand the connection lots of fish owners have with their fish.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #15356 
moonsand0wls

LOL YES! I'm obsessed with fish now. They make me so happy. I have six aquariums atm, and I have plans to get more... -___-
Old 11-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #15357 
yyankeeyankeefan

Quote:
LOL YES! I'm obsessed with fish now. They make me so happy. I have six aquariums atm, and I have plans to get more... -___-
i am currently trying to upgrade my daughter's 10 to something bigger. waiting to hear back from a couple people. trying to get one used becuase i don't want to pay another 70-100 on a 20.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #15358 
moonsand0wls

Tanks can be pretty expensive I agree.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #15359 
Sena Hansler

Quite a few autistic kids I know of in town have fish. (Some have dogs, but some parents can't afford that!) it's cheap, it's calming, and they love it!! Plus, for anyone, fish are one thing that you can't be mad at. They don't make noise, poop everywhere, bite (errr sometimes ;p), growl, or talk back.

My rant today: so cold...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #15360 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Ugh!!! I HATE people like that!!! I know your feeling.. LOL. Yep, it's horrible and they're not the type of person you can shake off, especially because if you do, they'll go to everyone you both know and make up some sob story about how bad you are etc, and get the sympathy. Oh, yes, yes I know alright. -_- Had it with my best friend of 10 years, and she'd lie about EVERYTHING, especially mental illnesses etc for the attention. She even went around telling people that I have cancer. -_- I stopped talking to her for a few months and she's come back to me, crying, saying she'll change. Now I'm just waiting for the wind to blow and see if she's changed for good or now.
She does have a mental illness it is called munich synfrome.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou