Betta Fish Forum banner

Missing scales

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Aerial 
#1 ·
My Dragon Scale Betta has 2 scales missing. I have read the other posts regarding parasites but I do not believe this to be the cause. He does swim erratically, darting around the tank, but only when he sees me. I have had him for over 4 months and he has always done this. Water is always crystal clear, at a steady temp and pH level. Ammonia is at a safe level. I have not observed any white specs on him anywhere. I think he rubbed up against the gravel or log in my tank too hard and rubbed off the 2 scales. So, what do I do to help promote scales to grow back and prevent infection? I have included 2 pics. 1 of the missing scales and 1 of the magnificent stripe down his body because I am so proud of him. LOL!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Mine gets missing scales now and then when she bumps into something. She's a jumper, so she's usually missing scales on her head because she scrapes it on the lid. Are your plants plastic? Do you thinking he could be scraping himself on them? That would cause missing scales.

#4 ·
Well...what I circled are 2 scales that are missing. He did not look like that last month. But yes, the water is always clean and he has a great appetite because I never over feed. I was just curious why so many other Betta owners say that if Bettas dart around erratically then the y must have parasites. My last Betta did that as well and he lived for 3.5 years!

#6 ·
They will heal, it takes about a week or 2. In the meantime, if you think he's scraping on something sharp, take that thing out. Otherwise, it could just be a one time deal. It's not really anything to worry about unless you he starts to lose a lot more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.