Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2012, 03:32 AM   #1 
xxkatcxx

Red face Hello!

Hello everyone!

My name is Kat. I'm 19 years old and I've been fish keeping for a few years now but I've only recently started with betta/tropical fish. Up until this past summer, when they all passed away while I was on vacation, I had goldfish. I loved my goldfish very much, all were won at a carnival, and thrived very well in my care (not so much in my dad's... RIP.)

I now have my very first betta fish, a beautiful red/blue/purple crowntail male named Storm, or sometime affectionately called Mr. Betta. I don't remember what exactly struck me to get a betta because after my beloved goldies died I said to myself sadly, "alright, no more fish." and then the next thing I know I'm all over the internet researching bettas! Storm was a birthday gift from my boyfriend and I'd eventually like to get a picture of him up.

Anyway, Storm has been living quite happily in a 5g aquarium with a medium amount of plastic plants and decor I suppose. He has his pet zebra nerite snail, Zippy. And he also lives with 2 neon tetras that also seem to be very happy and not shy or skittish at all despite that they don't have a school.

I originally had 5 neon tetras and they would never school together. Then randomly and mysteriously three of them died! I honestly don't think Storm did it as he never expressed any aggression towards them, never once flared or anything at them. The two he lives with now he lives with peacefully and sometimes chases them but seems to be more playfully doing so. He's not even aggressive at meal time and they all eat together happily.

I do intend on getting more neons as soon as I set up my 20g. Ideally I'd like to have a school of 7 neons as well as 3 or so otos. Does anyone have any opinions? I've done LOTS of research.

Also, my nerite snail doesn't seem to care much for algae tablets (though my cats seem to like them...) Any opinions or anything on that?
xxkatcxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Enjoy your stay.....

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #3 
eaturbyfill

Hello and welcome to the forum!
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #4 
Juicebox

welcome to the forum
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator