Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2012, 04:43 AM   #21 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav View Post
The treatment for the fin rot is almost done but the white spot is still there. Can someone please tell me what I should do next?
start the treatment on fungus, I suppose, keep temp 75-77 and you can add some aq salt 1 tsp per gallon for 10 days.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:54 AM   #22 
sarav

Thanks asukabetta! So I should treat for fungus and use aquarium salt at the same time? Or should I just do one or the other? Is either one better than the other? Since I've already done so many salt treatments and now medicine treatments, should I give a day of just water + stress coat or start on the other treatment right away? Thanks for all your help!
sarav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #23 
Tikibirds

Quote:
I have one question though, if it is fin rot shouldn't there be dark red or black on the edges, not white? If it ends up being fungus and not fin rot will the API Tetracycline do any harm?
If it was fin rot then the rotted part would most likely be outlined in black or sometimes red. I didn't see that in the pic. He looked like a normal crowntail to me *shrugs* When fins regrow the new growth will be a transparent white.

I doubt the tetracyclin would hurt him. From what I can tell and I am no expert in fish meds -I think Tetracycline can be used as an alternative treatment for Erythromycin. One of the disease stickies has ERYTHROMYCIN listed as a treatment for both fin rot and fungus. Sakura is the one to talk to about meds. She knows all

If you have constantly been medicating him, I would give him a break and then treat with the fungus med. I'm not sure if salt can be combined with fungus cure...

I do know that when sluggles has fungus on his fin, I added quick cure and it was gone in like 4 days. It's sold as a parasite med mostly but also does wonders for fungus as well.

Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #24 
sarav

I didn't think it was fin rot either. His fins have always been blue with pink tips but since tonight is the last change of that medication, I will finish it off. Tomorrow I will add all new water + stress coat + filter. Then I'll give him a day to flush out the medications. I assume one day will be long enough and then I can start the API Fungus Cure. I hope that it works quickly.

I haven't seen any new growth yet either. The Tetracycline seemed to do quite a number on his fins. I hope they regrow quickly, poor little guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
If it was fin rot then the rotted part would most likely be outlined in black or sometimes red. I didn't see that in the pic. He looked like a normal crowntail to me *shrugs* When fins regrow the new growth will be a transparent white.

I doubt the tetracyclin would hurt him. From what I can tell and I am no expert in fish meds -I think Tetracycline can be used as an alternative treatment for Erythromycin. One of the disease stickies has ERYTHROMYCIN listed as a treatment for both fin rot and fungus. Sakura is the one to talk to about meds. She knows all

If you have constantly been medicating him, I would give him a break and then treat with the fungus med. I'm not sure if salt can be combined with fungus cure...

I do know that when sluggles has fungus on his fin, I added quick cure and it was gone in like 4 days. It's sold as a parasite med mostly but also does wonders for fungus as well.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #25 
Tikibirds

New growth can be kinda hard to see since it will be transparent at first and very tiny.

Are there any other symptoms- other then the fuzzy spot?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:22 AM   #26 
sarav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
New growth can be kinda hard to see since it will be transparent at first and very tiny.

Are there any other symptoms- other then the fuzzy spot?
No other symptoms! He's acting normal and everything looks fine.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #27 
sarav

I'm going to put clean water in tonight and tomorrow night start the fungus cure. I think I'm starting to see a tiny bit of new growth but it's REALLY hard to tell. I'm going to put his plants and things back in tonight as well, so hopefully he'll feel a bit more at home. :)
Old 11-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #28 
sarav

I've been treating Nami with API Fungus Cure for two days now and the package says to treat for another two. The spot is still there. Is there anything else I should do? What happens if this treatment doesn't work?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #29 
bryanacute

So it's fungus eh?
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #30 
sarav

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanacute View Post
So it's fungus eh?
Well so far I've done:
1. 8 Days of Aquarium Salt -- Nothing
2. The full treatment of Tetracycline (supposed to cure Fin Rot) -- Nothing but small bits of his fin coming off but the white spot is still there
3. On Day 3 of Fungus Cure (cures both Fin Rot and Fungus) and the white spot is still there.

What else would you suggest to do??