Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #1 
Kevron56

Post Bacopa Growth Experiment

On Sep. 29, 2012 I bought 2 bunches of a plant which was sold under the label BACOPA CRENATA. However, from the images i see online it more likely resembles BACOPA MONNIERI (aka WATER HYSSOP). Despite both bunches surviving, much of the lush leaves have wilted off. I tried relocating them toward the center of my tank where it will receive more light, but the leaves continue to wilt off. So, before they completely turn to mush Ill conduct a basic experiment suggested by a very experienced fellow forum-er, Aokashi. Aokashi suggested floating the Bacopa which will bring them closer to the lighting. So half of my Bacopa is now floating at the surface while the other half remains planted in the middle of the tank.

Tank: 5g cycled
Light: Standard CFL
Temperature: 80F-82F
PH: 7.6-7.8
Inhabitants: Blooey (male Betta) and 2 Anubias
Photo Period: 5 hrs/day

So I chose the shabbiest of the bunch to be in the floating group, here they are...

Here is the group that is now floating at the surface of the tank (after I cleaned off all the dying leaves)...

and here is the group that is still planted in the middle of the tank...

Blooey! Get out of the picture! =P As I was saying... here is the group that is still planted in the middle of the tank...

I will post progress every few days.

**Please correct any terminology mistakes i have made or misinformation I am guilty of spreading, Thanks!**
Kevron56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #2 
megaredize

that might help. plus it may just be getting used to your water. a lot of plants will melt a bit at first when u add them to your tank because they have to get used to your water pH and anything else that may differ from where it came. i have a lot of bacopa in my 5 gallon spec and it melted too at first the bottom leaves. so now i have very bushy tops and naked bottom stems because of it lol. they grow fast i had to keep trimming them which forces them to get bushier at the point of the cut. my tank has LED lights so it is my one tank with good lighting. i think i read somewhere that said sicne it is a stem plant i trim from the bottom and it wont kill it. im going to look it up again but if i can do that then maybe i can get it bushy all the way through. just a tip you may find it useful in the future lol maybe
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #3 
Kevron56

Hey thanks for sharing Megaredize! The lower leaves did start wilting first and then it just kept creeping higher! The top leaves are the healthiest and continue to grow. Maybe ur right in that its just getting used to my water parameters, I know my anubias took a couple months to acclimate now that I think about it.

I like your avatar btw, did u draw that or is that a tattoo??!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #4 
megaredize

aokashi drew it. he is very talented. and it would make a pretty sick tattoo. didnt even think of that lol :)
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am pretty sure that is the one I have I bought 6 and only 2 are alive and I love them. My aniubus seems to acumelated right when I put it in the tank.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #6 
Kevron56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I am pretty sure that is the one I have I bought 6 and only 2 are alive and I love them. My aniubus seems to acumelated right when I put it in the tank.
Did ur leaves begin "melting" at first like in my first pic? I like how they grow, tall and thin, it gives the illusion that the tank is taller Also! I love em too, that's why I really want them to get healthier.

Thanks for sharing
Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

They just died I love the look of mine but not as much as my crypts.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #8 
Kevron56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
They just died I love the look of mine but not as much as my crypts.
I'll keep crypts on my list of things to check out the next time I go to the LPS... Probably tomorrow! In your opinion are crypts hardy like anubias?
Old 11-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It depends on species mine seem to do well in hard water with regular Ferts Aniubus seems very hardy to me so far. I can only positivly identify Crypt Wendeta and it seems to be doing well they are both great plants. My aniubus is 3 weeks old and already growing new leaves.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevron56 View Post
I'll keep crypts on my list of things to check out the next time I go to the LPS... Probably tomorrow! In your opinion are crypts hardy like anubias?
Crypts are great hardy plants and relatively low light :) with the occassional root tab they can to be very beautiful XD I have a few different kinds, from really small ones to the ginormous one, I prefer them over anubias
I cant believe you are making this into an actual experiment log! keep us updated! I'm curious to see th results!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacopa crenata, bacopa monnieri, dying plants, water hyssop, wilting