Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #21 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Matching to the card color is a learned skill/art. Better you should know what colors represent a 0.0 reading (hopefully your tapwater reads 0.0) and extrapolate from there.

Interpret readings under your tank light, or other 6500K (daylight ) source.

I misspoke in an earlier post. Keep your nitrite consistently <5.0ppm while cycling (not 0.5ppm as incorrectly stated).
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #22 
JAGalletta

Ok, that makes sense. I have established my zero values - I think I'm just missing my chance to see the numbers rise since it happens so quickly (when it happens). And that correction makes me feel a lot more comfortable since I have been nowhere near 0.5ppm.

:)
Posted via Mobile Device
JAGalletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #23 
JAGalletta

Do these results look normal?

I'm noticing my Nitrates falling with my Nitrites - Could a Marimo Moss ball be processing that much Nitrate in a 5.5 gal?
JAGalletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #24 
Hallyx
Reference Team

First: The mossball doesn't effect water parameters measurably. Neither do Anubias, Java fern, Java moss or other slow growing plants. Anacharis, Wisteria, Water sprite, Water lettuce are NON-root-feeders that eat ammonia and nitrate. Swords, Crypts, Hornwort and heavy root-feeders will definitely benefit water quality---while adding plant maintenance to your schedule.

Your cycle is proceeding faster than most. From your high nitrite readings, I'd say cut back on your ammonia...1.0ppm is plenty at this point. Keep the nitrite and nitrate below the maximums. You're almost cycled.

Some Betta like peas; most don't. In any case, carnivores (insectivores, actually) shouldn't have much vegetable matter in their diet. Most of what they get naturally is from gut-loaded prey.

A good-quality pellet, like NLS or Omega One contains enough roughage for good digestion. Frozen Daphnia will also keep them regular.
An occasional frozen (not freeze-dried) bloodworm for protein. It's nice to know that he'll take a pea-laxative should he ever need it. A proper diet and not over-feeding will preclude the need.

You were intelligent (and compulsive ;-} ) enough to keep a log. It's a great learning experience. Would you be kind enough to share it with us on this thread?

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...-104242/page4/

Thanks, JA. I'm sure we'll all benefit from your input.

Last edited by Hallyx; 11-10-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #25 
Wendyjo

Yes it looks like your cycle is coming along very nicely. And that's a great log you've kept! I think when I did my first cycle I kept my log on sticky notes all over the place.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, cycle, start zyme