Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #11 
moonsand0wls

Aw I don't know about that. I think you may only be able to find out once they start to develop more.
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #12 
MeganJo215

Okay, thanks everyone! :) What would you recommend for tank size, if I got a few and kept them in individual tanks? I'm thinking it might be okay if I got 3 babies and used my 5-gallon tank and just divide it up into 3 sections? Just until they get bigger and you can tell what their gender is, then I would move them to bigger spaces. :)

Last edited by MeganJo215; 11-10-2012 at 04:14 PM.
MeganJo215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #13 
LebronTheBetta

I recommend a 2.5 gallon at the least, and a 5 gallon at the most. I think babies are a bit too small to swim everywhere in a big tank. x.x but they need proper exercise, too.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

At 8 weeks behavoir like agression kicks in I would always reccomend 2.5 heated filtered for one Betta you can go smaller if you choose. For a sorioty you need 3-5 Bettas 5 best and a ten gallon tank.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #15 
TheMCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganJo215 View Post
So, my questions is, what would you recommend for caring for the "babies"? I mean, they're so small you can't tell if they were male or female until they get older, so would you recommend keeping them by themselves until you can tell what their gender is?
I have one. It has grown about 50% in size in a week and gone from a light blue to a rich multicolor - I think being in a larger tank with warm water that gets very regular changes and regular feeding of quality food is doing good for it. All I've been doing is feeding it Hikari Betta Bio Gold pellets, same as my others. (I had bought some Wardley pellets but they weren't going over well with two of my three adult bettas, and baby loved them but had to wait for them to soften so it could gnaw its way through one because they were too big, about the size of a sesame seed. The Hikari pellets are about the size of a poppy seed.)

Baby eats as much as the adults. Baby will stop eating when full. I don't know if that's normal or not. Baby is pretty attentive and always notices when I walk into the room and begs for food.

I was at Petco today and was looking at the baby bettas... a different location from where I bought mine, the one today had a lot more of them. Mine was sorta shaped like a female when I bought it and still is... I think it is a female. In the store, some of the babies were labeled "baby betta" with no additional info, but some had info on breed and gender on the opposite side of the label. (I think those were all male.) Those, when I looked at them, were pretty obviously male. They were much smaller than my baby was when I bought her, so I'm guessing gender is relatively obvious relatively early.

I guess if you don't mind not knowing precisely what the full grown fish will look like, the baby is a nice deal - it's only $2 and you get to watch it grow up.
TheMCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bettas stopping eating at any point is bad fish and most animals eat as much food as they can gather. Baby Bettas allow you to have a Betta longer.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #17 
BettaGirl228

I feed my baby Betta Live brine shrimp and Bloodworms she loves them shes a month now growing so fast. You can get them at petco or petsmart. Also you can tell their gender by their fins if they have a egg spot they're female if they have long fins they're male. I do water change for my baby/bettas every 4 days so they doesnt get sick. She's starting to get some color on her a real pretty green/blue color...Here's a picture of her
BettaGirl228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If those are lee Betta keepers and thats what you keep them in there permenatly you need way more water changes then ounce every 4 days. Do you feed them pellets? Wouldnt those Bettas look Better in 1 or 2 gallon tanks?
Old 11-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #19 
BettaGirl228

I'm getting a 10 gallon soon for them.
BettaGirl228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:16 AM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yay they will love it but for now you need daily water changes.