Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #11 
inuudo
Member
 
inuudo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinX7 View Post
instead of flaring, he just swims on the left side of the tank and now he stop since I got some tall decor to block it.
My betta occasionally gets into a rut (2-3 times), and at those times he swims in a fairly continuous circle on one side of the tank for endless hours. It's distressing to me to see that because it reminds me of zoo animals who have gone insane.

I tried putting objects in his path but he would just modify his circle to accomodate them.

What I have done to successfully jolt him out of it is to give him something distracting, and a "rival" for him to flare at works beautifully. I use a mirror until I have his attention and he starts to flare, and then I will show him the mirror several more times during the next hour. He then starts strutting around the tank patrolling his kingdom and I wake up to a huge bubble nest and a betta that is no longer showing abnormally repetitive behaviour.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #12 
Syriiven
Member
 
Syriiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by inuudo View Post
That is really nice! What a terrific idea.

LOL at the "still flaring"! He's just being a teenage boy.

Thanks =) he's stoppped flaring so much (only took him 2-3 hours, OMG) but now I'm really concerned with his coloring. I mean he get super stressed for a long while, but his coloring seems to be fading =( He has a fading stripe down the length of his body, and his undersides are fading too.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #13 
Syriiven
Member
 
Syriiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by inuudo View Post
My betta occasionally gets into a rut (2-3 times), and at those times he swims in a fairly continuous circle on one side of the tank for endless hours. It's distressing to me to see that because it reminds me of zoo animals who have gone insane.

I tried putting objects in his path but he would just modify his circle to accomodate them.

What I have done to successfully jolt him out of it is to give him something distracting, and a "rival" for him to flare at works beautifully. I use a mirror until I have his attention and he starts to flare, and then I will show him the mirror several more times during the next hour. He then starts strutting around the tank patrolling his kingdom and I wake up to a huge bubble nest and a betta that is no longer showing abnormally repetitive behaviour.
I'll have to watch for that o.o I do have a mirror handy, so I'll try that out if he seems to be doing it too often. I just hope his color comes abck soon =( I really hope I didn't make him sick somehow...
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #14 
Syriiven
Member
 
Syriiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Canada
Honestly, I don't get it. When I got him from PetSmart, he was lethargic in his terrible little blue-water cup, but a very vibrant cobalt blue with velvety black face, slight silver under the gills, and bright, bright red pectoral fins.

Since then he started tail-biting after some water changes and moving him to a cool basement cause summer was too hot and at the time I didn't have a heater for the 2.5g tank. He bit his tail on and off since moving to the apartment in August.

Now his undersides and face are fading and he has stress-stripes after being moved to a 10g tank. i really, truly, honestly hope that it was just the move and change that's stressing him. I tested everything I could, there should'nt have been a very big shock for him, aside from being in a bowl over night. I'm now thinking that was a mistake.

I just want him to be a happy little betta...with his tail back and color bright.

Just srsly upset. Been stressing about him all day, and I just feel helpless right now.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #15 
Syriiven
Member
 
Syriiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Canada
Here is a picture of him from back in July, newly moved to a 2.5 g tank from his cup


and him tonight after being moved to his 10g


Where did I go wrong? Why can't I make him happy?

Even now, a few hours after that photo, he's lost more coloration at the base of his bottom fin.

Last edited by Syriiven; 11-10-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #16 
Hershey
Member
 
Hershey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Potato
Some bettas don't care for bigger tanks like 10g's. You can try turning your tank light off and use a flashlight to see if his color suddenly comes back in the dark?
You can also try making the decor like his 2.5g set-up was. Maybe he just misses his old place?

Give those a try for a few days, and if that doesn't work, move him back to the 2.5 gallon for a while. Then either take the 10g back and get a 5.5 gallon?

Also, what's your temp in the tank?
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #17 
Syriiven
Member
 
Syriiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Some bettas don't care for bigger tanks like 10g's. You can try turning your tank light off and use a flashlight to see if his color suddenly comes back in the dark?
You can also try making the decor like his 2.5g set-up was. Maybe he just misses his old place?

Give those a try for a few days, and if that doesn't work, move him back to the 2.5 gallon for a while. Then either take the 10g back and get a 5.5 gallon?

Also, what's your temp in the tank?
The temp is between 77-81 degrees F. And it's kept constant by the heater, it's preset so I can't change it. I've had the light off since last night and figured I wont turn it on for a while. The setup is quite similar to his old tank.

He's active, and exploring everything, so I'm thinking it might be simply being handled by the net twice in 24 hrs and then the vast change in water. His previous tank - I will admit - I didn't always change the water when I should have, so he was in a much more ammonia-rich environment. With this tank I made sure ammonia read 0-0.25 before starting to acclimate him.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #18 
inuudo
Member
 
inuudo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
I hope you'll be able to figure it out. I certainly empathize with you as Fluffy moved from a one gallon cylinder to a four gallon tank within a week and took some time to settle in.

It didn't help that he was my first fish ever and I really had no idea which of his behaviours were normal fishiness and which were suspect or weird. I probably over reacted with treatments and adjustments a few times.

He's in a 5.5 gallon now, and I was a bit calmer in my reactions to his behavioural changes after that transfer.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #19 
Syriiven
Member
 
Syriiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by inuudo View Post
I hope you'll be able to figure it out. I certainly empathize with you as Fluffy moved from a one gallon cylinder to a four gallon tank within a week and took some time to settle in.

It didn't help that he was my first fish ever and I really had no idea which of his behaviours were normal fishiness and which were suspect or weird. I probably over reacted with treatments and adjustments a few times.

He's in a 5.5 gallon now, and I was a bit calmer in my reactions to his behavioural changes after that transfer.
I'm hoping that he's just going to take some time to settle. The stress-stripe seems to fade then come back when he's at the front of the tank, so~...-sigh- I don't know. Maybe the front of the tank is too spacious, seems too open to him. But the fact he's active and exploring makes me think he'll adjust. He's already chosen favourite nooks and crannies to disappear to. Has his caves all figured out too. And still chases a laser beam. So...yea, here's hoping he'll adjust and calm down.

Just really glad he's not attacking his reflection anymore - 3 hours is a long time for a little fish, and I think that had a lot to do with his stress.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
betta flaring 10 gallon

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
constant flaring lol...I mean this is constant.. Friendlyfishies Betta Fish Care 2 09-19-2012 11:39 AM
Constant flaring staffylover Betta Fish Care 8 09-13-2012 08:25 PM
Constant Flaring Betta Calypso77 Betta Chat 8 07-05-2012 08:49 PM
Can constant flaring be bad? Sherleelee Betta Fish Care 16 02-01-2011 02:26 PM
Constant flaring? XSprinkleFaceX Betta Fish Care 13 07-24-2010 11:57 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.