Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #11 
LebronTheBetta

Well, do you know the exact amount of water the bowl is? I know the info is hard to take in since you're new, just try to get whichever works best for you and the fish. :) I recommend a 50% and a 100% change every week for that bowl until you get a bigger tank. Then get a heater and then a filter once you get it. You can cycle it with the fish in.. Lets go on to cycling later on.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #12 
paloverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty1 View Post
i understand you but, at least i care about him, in the petshop, he was in a plastic bag, no air and it was no bigger than the size of a cigarette pack and the water in it could've hardly filled a tea glass ... anyway, i will buy a tank for him in a few days but i need him to live. right now i try to keep him as warm as possible.. he's so sweet - i fed him with chicken today he loved it, people say bettas love fresh food and meat - hope thats true...

i want to get him a friend, a girl betta maybe is that a good idea? can they get along?
Hi, are you not in the states/because those tiny plastic bags that your betta was in I have only seen that overseas, have never seen that stateside.

Last edited by paloverde; 11-10-2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: oops
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #13 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Sometimes new Betta will not eat for a couple or more days but feeding his chicken is not a good idea, keep trying what the pet shop gave you but take it out if he doesnt eat it so it doesnt get the water dirty. How much water does his bowl hold if you know that would help us tell you how often you need to change it. Did you get some water conditioner ? You need to add it to the water each time you change it and try to get the water the same or as close to the same temp as the water he is in.

If you dont have a heater put his bowl in the warmest place you can find, Betta are tropical fish and their water needs to be at a temp of 76-82 for their health and for them to be active. A temp of 76 is just luke warm to the touch but it would be a good idea if you could buy a thermometer to check the temp of his water with. Good luck with him and ask if you have anymore questions at all .
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #14 
Betty1

my betta is blowing bubbles i dont know what that means :S and he doesnt move much. the bowl is quite small now and he has to live in it till i get a tank. right now there's like 3 or 4 liters of water in the bowl.. how often should i change it? it seems to get dirty real quick... should i change it every day till i get a tank? and he didnt eat anything today, is that okay? :S

oh and he was breathing air a lot this morning and he opened his gills a lot. :S
Betty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #15 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
These fish don't get lonely, they're solitary creatures. They don't want company.
Have to disagree here.. despite the wild type who only sees another betta during mating, these domestic guys here are actually quite social and prefer to have interactions either with us or other fish. Being alone for majority of the day can stress some of them out if they are not used to it. Even one of those floating mirrors will help some with loneliness. I've seen the effects of bettas who were lonely and left alone too much.. not pretty :(

Blowing a bubble nest means basically that he is either staking territory or a weather system going through the area.. it's just their natural instincts to make them and some will make them quite often, while others will not.

For that size I would recommend doing a 1 50% water change and 1 100% water change per week. 3 liters is almost a gallon, so using the gallon recommendations is just fine.

Use a turkey baster to remove any uneaten food right away to avoid the water getting dirty as quickly.

Last edited by Myates; 11-11-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #16 
LebronTheBetta

Well, when I typed that statement, I forgot to mention that it varies on the Betta. Sorry.. :s
Old 11-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #17 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty1 View Post
my betta is blowing bubbles i dont know what that means :S and he doesnt move much. the bowl is quite small now and he has to live in it till i get a tank. right now there's like 3 or 4 liters of water in the bowl.. how often should i change it? it seems to get dirty real quick... should i change it every day till i get a tank? and he didnt eat anything today, is that okay? :S

oh and he was breathing air a lot this morning and he opened his gills a lot. :S
Blowing bubbles? It's nothing to worry about, just learn about that later when he's in better care. So it's about a gallon? You can change it every other day to not stress him that much, but 1 50% and 100% per week should be enough I guess. I suggest a water change today.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #18 
Betty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Blowing bubbles? It's nothing to worry about, just learn about that later when he's in better care. So it's about a gallon? You can change it every other day to not stress him that much, but 1 50% and 100% per week should be enough I guess. I suggest a water change today.
yes i changed it this morning... :)

thank you guys for all the answers&help. i'll ask you again if i have to know anything else... thank you all very much..

i know and as everyone says that bettas like being alone, he just seems kinda lonely and since all i can do is watch him - i thought a girl friend would maybe make him happier, but i guess thats too risky to put them in the same place... i mean i dont know, are all bettas aggressive? maybe my betta would like having a friend...
Old 11-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #19 
sjones

A thought.. did you buy a water conditioner for his water? You need to use one to make the water safe for fish, it removes chlorine found in tap water. I use Prime, but you can use any brand.

Also make sure the water temperature is the same when you do water changes. If you don't have a water heater yet or a thermometer let the new water sit out overnight to bring it up to the same temp.

It is normal for a betta not to move around when stressed/new to his environment.

Welcome to the forum :)
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #20 
Betty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
A thought.. did you buy a water conditioner for his water? You need to use one to make the water safe for fish, it removes chlorine found in tap water. I use Prime, but you can use any brand.

Also make sure the water temperature is the same when you do water changes. If you don't have a water heater yet or a thermometer let the new water sit out overnight to bring it up to the same temp.

It is normal for a betta not to move around when stressed/new to his environment.

Welcome to the forum :)

to be honest i dont have any of those things yet. but i'll buy them... i use clean water, the brand that i've been drinking for years it looks clean and it tastes clean, and the betta doesnt seem to have a problem with it either.. before changing the water, i check the temperature with my fingertips for now and i try to make sure its almost the same...

he spreads his fins sometimes but he mostly stays at the edges of the bowl and doesnt move a lot...

as i see from the pics of most other bettas, they all have fins looking soft like feathers, my betta's fins dont really look like that, they look more like needles.. is that a bad thing? :S my betta looks a lot like the one in my avatar. same colors, but his fins dont look that thick :S

Last edited by Betty1; 11-11-2012 at 01:18 PM.