Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #1 
clopez1

Does Marineland have contracts with all pet stores?

I got stuck buying a visi therm..So upset..Went to 3 different stores and it was either that or paying 10+ for something else..I get home..My tank is at 82 and the light comes on if I set the dial above 69. Going to keep an eye on it once the temp goes down tonight to see when it comes on. That is some crappy calibration if it's off by that much.
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #2 
Myates

The heaters should only come on once the temp of the water drops below the set temp. Sometimes I will see one of my heaters pop on and off for a time, but the temp never increases more than it should.

Do you just set the dial and watch the temp? I am lost when it comes to what you are meaning with the 69? Is that house/room temp? Is it getting warmer than what you set it as?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #3 
clopez1

The tank is 82 degrees..If I set it at 80 it stays on as if the water is too cold..I have to set the dial to 69 before it shuts off.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #4 
Myates

It is staying on because you are keeping the tank at a warm temperature. 80 - 82 is perfect for a betta, but for a tank of water (especially the smaller tanks) the heater will have to work that much harder the warmer you keep the thermostat set for.

Example- room is kept at a nice 74*F, the water in the tank will want to lower itself to about 5 degrees less than room temp, so it's continuously working to cool itself to 69*F.. but you have a heater in the water set at 80*F.. so in order for the water to stay at 80, the heater will run and continue to run to keep it on the proper setting. The heater is fighting against the room temp/water.

Outside it's snowing and at 20 degrees... turn on the heater in your house to 70 degrees.. the heater in the house will continue to run until the house is 70, and it will continue to turn on as needed to maintain the temp.

Sounds like nothing is wrong with the heater at all, it's doing it's job and maintaining the temp you are asking of it. What size tank do you have and what wattage is the heater? As well as what type of thermometer do you use?
You can also set it at 78* and that will be fine - normally people who keep them at 80*+ are breeders or have juveniles.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #5 
clopez1

I'm having the opposite thing..I live in Florida..My water is already 82 but the heater stayed on at 80 as if the water were lower..I have to set the heater to 69 before it turns off so I don't fry my fish.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #6 
clopez1

10 gallon..50w heater thermometer is the plastic one with the magnet on the outside to keep it in place.JW pet smart thermometer.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #7 
paloverde

Marineland is a giant as far as mass produced aquarium supplies go, but that heater should not be that off the mark. Try re calibrating it, by un-plugging it,letting it cool off while still in the tank for say about 30 min. then remove it from the tank & let it sit at room temp for about 30 min.While still out of the water manually adjust the temp by adjusting the dial slowly to as low as it can go, then slowly adjust the dial to as high as it can go, then slowly back it down to the temp that works for you. Now place it in your tank DO NOT plug it in yet, wait for 30 min. then plug it in refrain from adjusting it and observe it for several hours, it should come on when the tank temp is less than what you set it to
be sure to keep it UN -plugged while it is out of the water even while you do the adjustments.

Last edited by paloverde; 11-11-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: brain cramps.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #8 
clopez1

I will try that..Thanks