Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #1 
carbonxxkidd

LED lights for plants?

I recently bought this set up:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cultu...5-gal/20693704

Eventually, I would like to introduce live plants to my tank. My fish is sick and getting medicated right now so now is not an option, but eventually. Is it possible to grow live plants with this light? If so, which ones?
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #2 
paloverde

Been looking at those myself. With the stock led light that is included, you might be able to grow anibus/java fern/some mosses and perhaps float hygro. That would be a very low light tank, I find them to be very pretty, and super easy to maintain.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #3 
carbonxxkidd

I really like the tank, it is the perfect size and the fact that it comes with the LED lights and filter is awesome. I am thinking about buying a second one for my bedroom.

So basically low light plants are worth a try? I have seen marimo moss balls at Petsmart that I kind of want to try too. I think planted tanks just look so nice (and the fish love them) so if I can get real plants it would be so awesome!
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #4 
paloverde

The cool thing with those low light plants is you don't even plant them. Just attach them to a stone or bit of driftwood, easy!
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #5 
SinX7

I would get low light plants. I have LED lights also and most of the people here recommends the low light plants.

Not bad by the water, but I'm not sure how the layout is for that Walmart tank. I wouldn't really get those stuff there, and just get them at Petsmart, Petco or a reliable online retailer.
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #6 
Kytkattin

I am able to grow a wide variety with the Ecoxotic stunner strips, but those do cost an arm and a leg. lol. Most LEDs won't get you much except good colors for the fish. Low light plants, as mentioned by others, should do fine, but know that it could go either way.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #7 
Karebear13

I have LED lights and my plants were doing great for a while I had hornwort and waterlettuce but they eventually died and I think it was due to the lack of nutrients from doing 100% water changes. So I would def. recommend to cycle the tank so the plants have nutrients

You could get Java fern and java moss too
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #8 
starrlamia

there isnt enough information about the light to be able to comment on it. You can try low light plants but you may not have any luck, if the leds are not the proper kelvin temperature the plants wont benefit from it.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #9 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
I am able to grow a wide variety with the Ecoxotic stunner strips, but those do cost an arm and a leg. lol. Most LEDs won't get you much except good colors for the fish. Low light plants, as mentioned by others, should do fine, but know that it could go either way.
I got an LED desk lamp from Target and it's great. It was a bit expensive for a desk lamp- like $35 I think (maybe more. I don't remember), but my plants started growing like crazy after I started using it, and I even started having a problem with brown algae. I never got algae when I was using a CFL bulb (I couldn't find one with K rating over 2700 tho).
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #10 
Silverfang

This LED light will do nicely. It perked up my two swords, good for hygro and other stemmed plants. Cabomba looks nice and bushy. Even a dwarf grass is looking well. And the crypts love it. A little expensive, but it is a viable LED light.

They take a beating, know someone who's only gave out after having fallen completely in the tank.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote