Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #341 
Sena Hansler

Yes it did! :) handy for jumpers -.-

My brains so fried right now (tired and blah) so I did not understand that question so much. For me, 1-2 gallons gets a 90% every few days. 0.5 would have to get every day - every other day pushing it. 3-5 gallon every week (uncycled) with 50% at least. Cycled (5 gallon and up) 25% weekly.

I use IALs but have never had a problem with my fish getting sick or anything from PH swings - however if you had black water extract or used the IALs to soak in water, using said water as replacement water... Would that work?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #342 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Yes it did! :) handy for jumpers -.-

My brains so fried right now (tired and blah) so I did not understand that question so much. For me, 1-2 gallons gets a 90% every few days. 0.5 would have to get every day - every other day pushing it. 3-5 gallon every week (uncycled) with 50% at least. Cycled (5 gallon and up) 25% weekly.

I use IALs but have never had a problem with my fish getting sick or anything from PH swings - however if you had black water extract or used the IALs to soak in water, using said water as replacement water... Would that work?
ty, i'll simplify it. i look at it in a way so that 1/2 gallon is used every day. for a 2.5g i dont really like going over 5 days without a full water change, same for a 3.4g tank. ive done some cheme tests (api liquid test) and found that i hit .25ppm ammonia by the time i do 100 wc fo the various tanks i have.

i do believe ive done some partial water changes before but had troubles matching the PH as i didnt measure the amounts i used. from wc to next wc id have used anything from 1/4 gallon to 3/4g of ial water at 6.4ph. the ph for my DT could be 6.6 to 7.0 before and after wc.

i got tired of this inconsistency and i use 775ml IAL for every WC on the 2.5g and 3.4g. the 3.4g gets 1.5 liters for each wc as i have CT in those along with IAL. i could try getting some mesurements as per quantity for partial IAL water changes. one of the biggest reasons atm for the frequent wc is the waste in the gravel just before doing a wc. i could try siphoning it and then find out how much water i removed. just how long can i stretch out 100 WC for a 2.5g and 3.4g tanks given i do them 5 and 7 days respectively? am i a bit too paranoid in such frequent water changes?
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:04 AM   #343 
NVGail228

Hi, all. This is just a quick note so I can join this thread. Not gonna get into water change schedule and all that. If the fish weren't happy and healthy I wouldn't dare join this thread. Oh, as for tank size I have 3 that are 2g, one that is 2.5g and about to start up 2 tanks of 3g each. Have a 10g but when I divided it I screwed up and almost caused a betta riot (or heavyweight bout). So I'm chicken about trying again (for now).
NVGail228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #344 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am scared of dividing tanks too.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #345 
ravenwinds

Asukabetta: no, I haven't taken pics and transferred them to photobucket yet...its such a pain when the only computer working, and that has internet access, is my HTC droid phone! Makes things that should be fairly simple extra hard!
I will attempt to get some this week...especially since I just setup an Aqueon Evolve 4g as an NPT...well almost all my tanks are NPTs and this one has officially been setup for 7.5hrs...it looks so cute w/ Petco sapphire blue sand and this cute little castle hidey hole surrounded by a jungle of stem plants. I am disappointed (although I knew what they would look like) in the plants as the quality of Petco plants stink! I was just in a hurry to set it up so I didn't order plants over internet...a problem I will rectify later today!

As for water changes Nel: I personally think you might be trying too hard to make this difficult...but, they are your tanks and fish, so ultimately it is up to you...every one of us has a different ideal and we all follow a different path to our goals...we get to decide what's important to us and our approach.
For me, I watch the fish and the plants, even the snails, so if something doesn't look/feel right, then I will test the water. If I let myself, I would become obsessive-compulsive in a blink of the eye!
Dividing tanks is tricky sometimes. The first two 10g I divided, I didn't wait long enough for silicone to cure and set (at least that is my guess) and the hard plastic report folder bindings broke free of their silicone prison...thus allowing my king orange HMPK to travel to other side and beat up 2 different HM males (first neighbor and second neighbor ) :(

ChoclateBetta: don't you have a Walmart or craft store like JoAnn's Fabrics? You can get everything you need at Walmart...Lucky you that the premade dividers were unavailable so you didn't waste good ,money on those useless things!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #346 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

At our walmart I never have seen the supplies but I must admit I am pretty scared of dividers.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #347 
ravenwinds

They would be in craft section...comes in a large sheet...used to begin learning cross stitch or embroidery. Also seen it used to make Xmas tree ornaments or pot holder type things with the big yarn. The plastic holders that you glue onto sides of tank are the report covers, clear, looks like plastic sheets to store photos...in section near greeting cards where you can get reams of printer paper.

They are something you should be wary of....just to make you cautious so you will install them correctly and so you will check to ensure proper fit after every water change...make sure they are in their plastic channels and haven't popped out of one, or worse: bowed out in just a small area (which is how king escaped to other side twice!).
I think that if you take proper precautions, the positives outweigh the few negatives and it is well worth the cost. On some of mine, I even have moss growing so that it will, eventually, make a nearly solid wall to ease the stress even more! Also, with a divided 10g, it makes for less water changes (with your more traditional setups...non NPTs).
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #348 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have never seen that stuff in the craft section and Carter can be pretty agresssive he would probably kill himself to get to the other side.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #349 
Sena Hansler

Ravenwinds has a very good answer for the two of ya :p

NVgail I know divided tanks can be a hassle lol! Have you tried the double dividing? Have two dividers in the center with room in the middle (usually for filters or heaters) which could avoid jumpers? I remember when my sneaky lady went UNDER the divider where a few larger gravel pieces had propped it up enough for a small betta to slip through. Found her "chatting" with the confused Big Red
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #350 
Myates

As long as the dividers are tight on the sides and go up to the top to where it meets the cover.. there should be no going through. I keep mine a 1/4 of an inch or less from the cover... it can be scary, but if one has many fish it's a good way to make sure they are all heated, etc.
Use the aquarium silicone to hold the dividers in place if you plan on housing bettas for a long time. Can also create a T section on the top of the dividers, making sure the top part of the T goes out a few inches.. the bettas normally try to jump next to the divider, but with a T going, they just end up bumping their noses.

Many ways to keep them safe with dividers. :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote