Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #1 
DoctorWhoLuver

Chronic SBD and Internal Parasites

Hey guys! Two of my red sorority girls have had SBD for the past two weeks. No matter how much I fast them, or give them peas, it just won't go away. I'm starting to think its genetic since the two girls are similar in size, shape and color. Is it possible for a fish to be born with SBD? My old red female betta also had SBD that came and went.

My Cambodian female also seems to have internal parasites; she has flat, white poop, and is lethargic. I've been trying to feed her some meds and food, but she won't eat, so I'm kind of at a lost. Any suggestions? Should I alter the temp of the tank?

Just as a side... I haven't flared my male Dragonscale PK in about two months and I noticed he had extra scales growing over his gill flaps, so that he had trouble flaring yesterday. Today, he was flaring fine, but when he does, the scales kind of poke out a little.i can't seem to get a good picture of it. Also, he used to be a half moon plakat, now he doesn't a full 180 degree flare :/ is this normal for a betta who hasn't flared in awhile?

Last edited by DoctorWhoLuver; 11-10-2012 at 06:06 PM.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Dragonscale tend to have a larger tendency to have scales grow over eyes and gills.

SBD can be chronic. Is your Cambodian in with the other females? If so they all could have internal parasites. Cross contamination as well.

I have had a male that had SBD for a good few months (due to completely different reason) and he got better after I fed a lot less to him then the other fish. And used Epsom salt every day, cleaning 100% every day. (2 weeks at a time)

I would avoid peas... It's not so great for carnivores. Try frozen daphnia as that works like a pea but is better for them :)

Meds for the Cambodian: I used Jungle fizz tabs for internal/external parasites. Use with Epsom salt as well.
PRE DISSOLVE salt before adding
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #3 
DoctorWhoLuver

Okay thank you :) I can't seem to find the fizz tablets at petsmart or my local fish store, any alternatives?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

What meds do you have in your area? Maracyn and maracyn 2 works as well (there is a furan and furan2 combo as well).
Old 11-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #5 
DoctorWhoLuver

I think we do have maracyn 1 and 2; should I get both?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

They can work together as a combo, I am not sure if you would need both or not. read the back of the packages... The one I did have was maracyn 2, used by itself.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #7 
DoctorWhoLuver

Okay I will go check them out soon; thanks :)
Old 11-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #8 
Wendyjo

Neither Maracyn or Maracyn 2 are anti parasitic meds, which is what the fizz tabs were recommended for. Just look for a med that says it cures internal parasites if you feel confident that's what your cambo has.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Maracyn 2 does, as does the packaging say. I have also had to use it once on a female... Prazipro and jungle parasite clear (I don't know if parasite clear actually works for internal) and we don't get prazipro here :p
Old 11-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #10 
Wendyjo

Maracyn 2's active ingredient is Minocycline, which is an antibiotic.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote