Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #11 
asukabetta

Well the fungus seems same or a bit more grown (but away from the fin, like stringy ish), it's a cottony white but it's not progressing further, just staying on the injury (bite mark). I'll post you the ingredients of sera mycopur

acriflavine 210mg
cupric choride 11,8mg
cuprice sulfate 71,9mg
aqua purificata ad 100 mg

The sores were red but before there was fungus on the falling injured fin there. But it hasn't developed any fungus since. In that lower fin area, in fact it seems better this morning.

He's half moping around. On the bottom, then on the top, I can see stress stripes and a bit of paleness.

What does excess slime coat look like?
How does fungus look when in healing?

I'm still wonder how he could have got this overnight, sure his water is on the cold side (75F-77F) (24C), and I've been doing water changes religiously.

Also any advice to stop a tailbiter? Should I move him to the bigger tank I got? Would that help :3

as usual thanks :)
Attached Images

Last edited by asukabetta; 11-12-2012 at 12:39 AM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #12 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Raising the temo to 80F helps the immune system so your Betta can fight the infection. Tailbiting is usually because they are bored. So extra stimulation will help.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #13 
Wendyjo

I wouldn't raise the temp any higher than 78 unless you are treating with meds - both fungus and bacteria thrive and multiply in warm water. If you're treating with antibiotics then raising the temp is fine.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Even if it helps the fungus the immune system gets stronger and temp swing at 4 degrees are very dangerous. Medicines work two ways for Bettas kill the infection or boost the immune system. IAL help the scales and fins so it should help.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #15 
Sakura8

(Darn, had it all typed out and lost it)

The only true fungus that we regularly deal with in the aquarium is saprolegnia which is really, really fuzzy.

What we're most likely dealing with is the beginnings of columnaris. In this case, leaving the temperature where it's at is best because columnaris thrives in warm water. The temp is at the lower end of a betta's tolerance level so he will do fine for the time it takes to treat this. Any lower and his immune system would be severely compromised, as Choc has said. As always, I would not recommend leaving a betta in temps these low on a permanent basis as a betta will survive but not thrive.

Your best option for treatment right now is a double-strength bath of methylene blue and aquarium salts. Here's the instructions from an extremely helpful website on how to prepare this bath:

"To prepare this bath I use 1 teaspoon 2.303% solution per 5 gallons (double dose) in a bath of aquarium water from the tank the fish you wish to treat came from, I usually use about a gallon of water, however you may use less. Measurement of the Methylene Blue does not need to be precise as this bath should be used for about 30 minutes (although do NOT overdose). You may also add salts to your bath to improve effectiveness for certain problems when preparing baths for freshwater fish (such as swim bladder, dropsy or unknown problems). Generally I would use 1 teaspoon of sodium chloride (regular salt) per gallon and occasionally teaspoon of Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate) per gallon.
Make sure you keep the water in a warm area, as in a cold room the water temperature can drop rapidly which would stress the fish. Do NOT pour this water back into your display aquarium when finished. This can be performed twice per day. This bath is useful for fresh AND saltwater."
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Would IAL be good too?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #17 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post

The only true fungus that we regularly deal with in the aquarium is saprolegnia which is really, really fuzzy.

What we're most likely dealing with is the beginnings of columnaris. In this case, leaving the temperature where it's at is best because columnaris thrives in warm water. The temp is at the lower end of a betta's tolerance level so he will do fine for the time it takes to treat this. Any lower and his immune system would be severely compromised, as Choc has said. As always, I would not recommend leaving a betta in temps these low on a permanent basis as a betta will survive but not thrive.

Your best option for treatment right now is a double-strength bath of methylene blue and aquarium salts. Here's the instructions from an extremely helpful website on how to prepare this bath:

"To prepare this bath I use 1 teaspoon 2.303% solution per 5 gallons (double dose) in a bath of aquarium water from the tank the fish you wish to treat came from, I usually use about a gallon of water, however you may use less. Measurement of the Methylene Blue does not need to be precise as this bath should be used for about 30 minutes (although do NOT overdose). You may also add salts to your bath to improve effectiveness for certain problems when preparing baths for freshwater fish (such as swim bladder, dropsy or unknown problems). Generally I would use 1 teaspoon of sodium chloride (regular salt) per gallon and occasionally teaspoon of Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate) per gallon.
Make sure you keep the water in a warm area, as in a cold room the water temperature can drop rapidly which would stress the fish. Do NOT pour this water back into your display aquarium when finished. This can be performed twice per day. This bath is useful for fresh AND saltwater."

what is methylene blue? I can no idea what it is :/ Or how it is called in spanish to find it in the aquarium store.

I feel terrible, I do not have any epsom salts. I couldn't find it, a member of the forum was kind enough to mail me some however it can take around 14 days to arrive :/
Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #18 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Raising the temo to 80F helps the immune system so your Betta can fight the infection. Tailbiting is usually because they are bored. So extra stimulation will help.
I do give it extra situmulation, flaring, interaction, or changing decor outside the tank is what I tend to do, perhaps it's not enough...
Old 11-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #19 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post

sorry for the double post, I have a medication called JBL ecktol which is the same brand I used to treat cheshire's ich, it is an antibiotic for fin rot and it says for columnaris as well.

http://www.aquashop.rs/Product-JBL-E...00ml_9287.aspx

Should I switch medications then?

It has the blue thingy you were speaking of.

I suck at this from my understanding:

I should double dose the med for 30 min in x amount of water (I have a extra tank that is about 3 liters) I can premix it in a bigger container and just put him in a cup floating in his main tank to keep him warm.

I should also include aq salt?

Should the main tank have aq salt as well?

Oh god I'm panicking again... columnaris, first mystery diesase on Aquilies, then ich on cheshire, now this... I have no luck with fish do I...

Last edited by asukabetta; 11-12-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Stimulation is good. Breeders use the blue stuff to help prevent infection. Places like pet smart use it.