Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #1 
LizzyP

How long can BB survive?

I woke up this morning to a text from my mom saying she unplugged my filter. Keep in mind this is a fully established filter and has been for 2 or so months. I think it was unplugged for about 3 hours. Still in the tank, just not running. Not thinking I told her to plug it back in.

I won't be home for a few more hours. Did I completely lose my cycle? Will my fish be okay until I can get home to test the water?

Thanks
Lizzy
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #2 
Wendyjo

It should be fine.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I agree, it should be fine...
It usually takes about 6 hours for the dissolved oxygen to be used up to the point that the BB start to die off and this can vary too-based on how mature the tank, BB colony, if any dehydrated due to lowered water level in the filter box itself, type of filter and size...etc.... Its always a good idea to monitor the water prams for a few days for spikes or if you don't have testing products on hand-just make an extra water only change within 24h of the filter being off.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #4 
zoomama79

Should be fine. I remember someone posting that he kept his tanks going during Hurricane Katrina by manually pouring water through the filter with a cup every couple hours or so. These were well established tanks and I think he also ran the filters for a few minutes off a battery backup he charged up on a friends vehicle once a day. Anyway, point being, if it's well established you should be fine.
zoomama79 is offline   Reply With Quote