Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #1 
Butterfly

Fred+ some questions

Hello! I'm new here and I just got a halfmoon male named Fred on the 1st of this month.
He is quite the happy camper...he loves eating, hearing voices, and following my finger. He is very active.
I have a few questions...

Fred hates being caught! When I scoop him out to change his water he sort of freaks out and gets very disgruntled. I don't chase him with the net, just simply hold it there and wait until he swims a little in...and then i scoop him out. He doesn't like the net to be in his tank(that's when he gets upset). today, he lost a scale! :( will it grow back? How do i help him to 'like' being caught?

Also, fred's top and bottom fins are slightly curled. Is it because he is still growing or is it caused by some other reason? (I don't know how old he is because I bought him from petco) I'm not worried, though because he swims around just fine and like I said, is very active. I'm just curious :) You can sort of see the curly top fin in the picture below. The photo does not do him justice! He's really a cute little guy :3

Also, does anyone know what 'type' of coloring/marking he has? I really love his coloring.

EDIT: Is he a BUTTERFLY? :O I just looked at the coloring thread.....But he doesn't quite have the blue all around. Just mostly on his back fin.

Fred:

Thanks!

Last edited by Butterfly; 11-12-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #2 
jeremywadejunior

What a pretty guy! My fish never like the net either.. I know that some people will get their fish into the net by putting food there. He might start to like it more if he associates the net with food. I just try to make net situations as quick as possible for the little guys.

Yes, his scale should grow back but I'm not sure how long it will take. Junior has lost a few scales in his day, too.

How large is your tank? For water changes, I find that most of my fish get less stressed if I siphon the water while they remain in their tanks.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #3 
Butterfly

Aww, Fred says thank you ^_^ I'll be sure to be quick next time. That way he won't have time to freak out? haha.

For now, my tank is quite small. I don't know exactly how many gallons it is...maybe a half gallon?
I plan on getting a bigger tank and lots of plants...just don't know quite where to start with the plants and how that will affect changing the water out. Temp is constant and the PH is very close to 7. Water is conditioned. When i was at petco they had those little 'betta bulbs' except all of them were moldy. So I didn't bother. I want to get one of those marimo algae balls and some live feathery plants for him to hide in and lay on.
Advice?

Thanks! :)
Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #4 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
Aww, Fred says thank you ^_^ I'll be sure to be quick next time. That way he won't have time to freak out? haha.

For now, my tank is quite small. I don't know exactly how many gallons it is...maybe a half gallon?
I plan on getting a bigger tank and lots of plants...just don't know quite where to start with the plants and how that will affect changing the water out. Temp is constant and the PH is very close to 7. Water is conditioned. When i was at petco they had those little 'betta bulbs' except all of them were moldy. So I didn't bother. I want to get one of those marimo algae balls and some live feathery plants for him to hide in and lay on.
Advice?

Thanks! :)
Sure! A heater will be needed since bettas are tropical fish and they like warm temperatures! 78 F - 82 F is recommended.

I don't have real plants in my tanks, just silk, so I really don't know much about planted tanks. I would recommend starting with fake plants first since maintaining a planted tank can be more challenging. When you are looking for plants, make sure to get silk ones so that they can't tear Fred's fins! I am very fond of Petco's silk plants, however they will probably be too large for a 1/2 gallon tank. Their silk plants are large and will fan out, so that they create great hiding places for the fish! Here is one that I have: http://www.petco.com/product/118946/...ium-Plant.aspx Again, try to avoid plastic when picking out plants! :)

As far as tank size, I would upgrade him soon. I own three bettas: one is in a 5 gallon and the other two have 2.5 gallon tanks. I find that having larger tanks with more plants/decorations is more rewarding because bettas are curious fish and it's very fun to watch them explore their surroundings!

Feel free to ask any more questions!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #5 
Butterfly

Oh, I forgot to mention my climate is pretty constant and so is the tank temp. It's 79.8-80 F :)

I will definitely get him a larger tank. Do larger tanks need those bubbler/filtering things? I've never had a tank before. What brand of tank do you recommend?

Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it, and so does Fred!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #6 
NorthernLights

Net adventures

I'm afraid Fred may always hate the net. The fact that he will willingly swim near it is actually pretty cool -- lots of fish become amazingly energetic and agile escape artists when a net enters their tank.

Some folks here have had luck with cupping their bettas (ie, catching them with a cup) rather than trying to catch with a net.

You have a 1/2 gallon tank? Is it a bowl? One of those Betta cubes? I haven't seen many tanks that small outside of the betta fad containers.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #7 
Butterfly

it's a glass bowl....like those plastic ones they sell at petco in the 'betta kit.'

He seems to be doing fine in it but I'm sure he would be happier in a bigger tank with plants.
going to make a new thread in the proper category :) (betta fish, bowls, habitat, accessories)
Old 11-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #8 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention my climate is pretty constant and so is the tank temp. It's 79.8-80 F :)

I will definitely get him a larger tank. Do larger tanks need those bubbler/filtering things? I've never had a tank before. What brand of tank do you recommend?

Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it, and so does Fred!
Oh okay! Just be sure that his water stays at that temperature; even in the winter!

It is not a requirement to have a filter, but they can be helpful with keeping the tank clean, although 50% weekly water changes will still be necessary with them. The only tank I have that is unfiltered is my 2.5 gallon glass tank which I clean twice a week.

I own two of Aqueon's MiniBow tanks, one in 5 gallons and one in 2.5 gallons. These tanks are pretty good, since they are a good price for including a filter. I would recommend the 5 gallon one, since it gives you more room to decorate and it gives your betta a bigger world to explore! The only problem with these tanks is that they are plastic, so they can scratch easily. But besides that I have had no problem with them. They come with a lid (which is good because bettas can jump out of their tanks!), a light, a filter, and some food. I know they sell them at petsmart but I'm not sure about petco.

If you want a glass tank, I know they sell a 2.5 gallon rectangular one at petsmart. Junior has a 10 gallon glass rectangular tank that he lives in at home (I'm away in college and the dorm only allows a 5 gallon maximum) and he loves it.

No problem, that's what I'm here for, I love helping people with their bettas! :)
Old 11-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #9 
NorthernLights

cheap tanks

Okay, if you are so inclined....

Walmart has amazing deals. If you do get a Wal-mart tank, please take it out of the package and *carefully* examine it. Many, many of their tanks crack in transit and loads of people return obviously used tanks (like, still has cruddy gravel in the bottom). Make sure EVERYTHING that is supposed to be there is there. Don't be shy, but be very careful and don't rip things.

You can get a 1-gallon kritter-keeper style tank at Wal-Mart for about $5. For $10, you can get a 1-gallon aquarium with a light and undergravel filter.

For $25-30, you can get some 2-5 gallon aquarium kits.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #10 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Fred is very pretty. You could try to teach him to swim into a cup instead of using the net, drop a pellet into the cup and hold it right in front of him and see if he will swim into the cup to get it.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote