Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #1 
cinnamonster

Suitable tank setup? (Picture)

I'm new to betta fish keeping and am looking for advice on my tank. I have read lots about it but am getting a bewildering amount of information!

I currently have a 5 gallon tank - one of these I think http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Aquariu...-Desktop/10506 which has a 19W LED light and a filter with a very gentle output. There's also a stick heater in there (and separate thermometer) keeping the tank at the right temperature. I'll be getting some plain pea gravel as soon as possible, as well as a couple of things my betta can use as a cave.

I've got about 4 stems of water wisteria from an old tank, about 5 starter strands of java fern which are tied to little pebbles and some ball seaweed which the stems of the water wisteria are wedged between.

First question: Is this set up okay? I've had the LEDs on for about 6/7 hours each day but I'm a little worried if it's okay for the wisteria's leaves to be that close to the filter/light. They're not getting sucked in.

Second question, is this too many plants for the tank? I don't have any technical help for them, not even fertiliser and I'm not sure if the waste from the betta and its food is going to be enough nutrients for them.

Thirdly, does having this many plants mean I don't need to cycle the tank? And will it mean I do less partial water changes? I've tested the water and ammonia levels are 0 at the moment.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images

cinnamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Looks good. You won't register any ammonia until you add an ammonia source either with pure ammonia, raw shrimp, a fish, fish food etc. your tank will not cycle without ammonia, it is what feeds the beneficial bacteria. I would advise reading the stickies regarding cycling a tank & then asking questions. Once its fully cycled, you will, IMO, need to do a minimum of a 50% water change weekly but others may disagree. Are you testing your water with strips or a liquid test kit? The liquid test kit is highly recommended.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #3 
cinnamonster

I have been adding pure ammonia for about a week, registering a reading and then by the next day it's gone. And I've been testing with API freshwater master kit, a liquid test kit.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #4 
paloverde

HI, love that tank.

question # 1 yes... good set up, perhaps add 4 hrs on the photo period.

# 2 no... can one really have too many plants! Wisteria will need fertz.

# 3 no... still needs to cycle & water changes during the cycle will depend on the ammonia,nitrite,& nitrate levels.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #5 
paloverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonster View Post
I have been adding pure ammonia for about a week, registering a reading and then by the next day it's gone. And I've been testing with API freshwater master kit, a liquid test kit.
Wisteria gobbles up ammonia, have the nitrites shown up yet?
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #6 
thisismethere

I really like your tank! I am going to set up a 5 gal and rescue a betta. Thanks for sharing!! =)Good luck on cycling! Do you have the betta yet?
thisismethere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #7 
Wendyjo

Looks nice. One suggestion would be that you may want to lower the water level a bit more to keep your fish from jumping out.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #8 
cinnamonster

Hi guys, thanks for replying :) It has got a lid, I just took it off for the photo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloverde View Post
Wisteria gobbles up ammonia, have the nitrites shown up yet?
I had a little bit of nitirite, that has gone down to 0 though... I've been seeing nitrate levels of about 3/4 since my third day test which confused me a little bit because I thought it would take more time. Perhaps the bacteria from the established tank have helped here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismethere View Post
I really like your tank! I am going to set up a 5 gal and rescue a betta. Thanks for sharing!! =)Good luck on cycling! Do you have the betta yet?
Nope, getting the betta as soon as I know it's environment is good enough :) Possibly this weekend though if the readings stay happy!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #9 
Wendyjo

Did you seed it with filter media or filter squeezins from another tank? Cause it sure sounds like the tank is cycled and ready for fish.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #10 
914joe

You have to be careful with the filter that comes with that tank,i was considering it at one time and i have read a lot of threads online about fish getting trapped in the filter and dying or getting injured real bad,here is a thread from someone on this site that had a problemhttp://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=78217
914joe is offline   Reply With Quote