Betta Fish Forum banner

Hello and baby betta

1K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  rubinthebetta 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the forum, but no where new to Betta keeping. We had taken a break from betta keeping for about a year after my last boy, Shadow Storm, died. He was a Wal-Mart betta I had for 4+ years. For years we had bettas in just about anything that would hold enough water in our house.
I took a break, but fell victim to PetCo's trap of baby bettas. I know I should not have done it, but I bought one. Some of them were already failing in health and I knew they wouldn't make it much longer, I spotted one that still looked fairly active and healthy and possibly a slight blue tint on it's other wise colorless, less than 1" body. I housed it in a 1 gallon tank with a heater. I only fill it less than half way so my baby doesn't get lost and have a hard time finding food and air. I threw in some plant bulbs to grow in the tank as well.
I've had my little one about a month now and I'm thinking it's a veiltail female, but it's going to be a very pretty one. The blue tint I thought I initially saw is developing more and the fins are developing a reddish color. I had been crushing the PetCo brand pellets (I got them because of the higher protein content and because they are smaller than any other betta pellet), now my baby is big enough to eat them whole. I also gave it a little freeze dried bloodworms and recently flightless fruit flies. I discovered that one by chance when feeding my teeny tiny toad, I threw 3 flies in to the betta tank and it devoured them. I also think it was picking/grazing stuff off the plant bulbs.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome!! And congrats on your baby making it, I know it's pretty hard to keep them alive at such young ages. Do you have a pic? Sounds very pretty

#4 · (Edited)
Ok in this pic it is a bit stressed and the colors are faded. We just had a little mishap. I was doing a water change (I use a piece of airline tubing so it won't create strong suction) and baby just darted right up the tube! I quickly pinched the tube and emptied it backwards into the tank to free it, but baby swam a bit off for a few minutes after. Hopefully there's not any lasting effects from that. I was trying to be super careful and it was like my betta aimed for the suction tube and swam up it.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
That looks almost exactly like Maggie when I first got her! :shock: (except Maggie isn't a baby) Anyways, good luck with her!

EDIT: I thought I quoted the pic but apparently not. Oh well. BTW, what's her name?

#5 ·
Mine does that when I change the water, fortunately, she's too big to fit up the tube. I just use extra tubing for a small fitting air filter that I got at wal-mart, the hole is about a half a centimeter big, so there's no way she's getting in there.
She also likes to chase around the turkey baster when I sucking up her waste and trying to catch the waste. She has yet to succeed at this, yet she still tries. (I don't use a vacuum because I have too many plants and decorations and I'm worried about knocking the over).

Good luck on your baby, it's a cutie. I'm sure s/he'll be fine, might be traumatized for a few days, but mine survived far worse than that (although she wasn't a baby) - a jump out of her tank, a 4 foot drop and spent at least a half an hour out of water when I found her.

#9 ·
That is so cute! Pet smart carries babies where i live it is horrible! Cutest little male crown tail was there. LOve the little guy looks like a female vt. Best of luck!

#11 ·
My baby had stress stripes,, no color and short fins for nearly four months. At that point, I figured he was a she. He wasnt. Hr is a year old now and doing great. I dont find babies any harder to keep alive than adults. Yours looks quite healthy. I wouldnt assume female just yet.

#15 ·
I'm not really sure when you can tell. I know on some fish it's more obvious than on others. And then, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll get it right. My Fishy was sold to me as a boy, but we're pretty sure she's a girl.

#16 ·
I have a baby that looks much like yours. She's (I *think* she's a she) actually the easiest of my bettas to care for: no question she knows where to go for air and food, and she consistently eats whatever I feed her without turning her nose up at some foods like my others. She's growing rapidly and her colors are like your baby's colors but a bit darker. I'm thinking she may get a trial run at my community tank when she's big enough not to get eaten. (I tried my males in it but they all got hyper aggressive when they saw a glow light tetra, so they failed "plays nicely with others" and had to go back to separate tanks.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.