Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #11 
jsgossamer

My baby had stress stripes,, no color and short fins for nearly four months. At that point, I figured he was a she. He wasnt. Hr is a year old now and doing great. I dont find babies any harder to keep alive than adults. Yours looks quite healthy. I wouldnt assume female just yet.
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #12 
Wendyjo

If it's a male at what point will you be able to tell? Right now mine looks like a girl as well - and since I really want a girl I am refering to it as "she" and "her".
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #13 
zoomama79

Interesting. Male or female I don't really care. As pretty as the colors are already developing it's gonna be a beautiful fish. I'm excited to see how it continues to develop.
zoomama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #14 
Wendyjo

I'd like a girl so she can go in my community tank.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #15 
sainthogan

I'm not really sure when you can tell. I know on some fish it's more obvious than on others. And then, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll get it right. My Fishy was sold to me as a boy, but we're pretty sure she's a girl.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #16 
TheMCP

I have a baby that looks much like yours. She's (I *think* she's a she) actually the easiest of my bettas to care for: no question she knows where to go for air and food, and she consistently eats whatever I feed her without turning her nose up at some foods like my others. She's growing rapidly and her colors are like your baby's colors but a bit darker. I'm thinking she may get a trial run at my community tank when she's big enough not to get eaten. (I tried my males in it but they all got hyper aggressive when they saw a glow light tetra, so they failed "plays nicely with others" and had to go back to separate tanks.)
TheMCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #17 
zoomama79

My baby is still doing well after "her" trip up the siphon hose. She eats avidly and is really easy. I'm hoping to take her to my office for my desk once she's full grown. I want to make sure I baby her while she's growing and developing.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #18 
Wendyjo

It's amazing how much they can eat, isn't it? I've found raising my baby to be very rewarding.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #19 
zoomama79

I find myself sitting and staring at her for long periods of time looking for any little changes in color, fin shape, anything. Although now she sees me and starts looking around for food, she's now associated me with food LOL
Old 11-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #20 
rubinthebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomama79 View Post
Ok in this pic it is a bit stressed and the colors are faded. We just had a little mishap. I was doing a water change (I use a piece of airline tubing so it won't create strong suction) and baby just darted right up the tube! I quickly pinched the tube and emptied it backwards into the tank to free it, but baby swam a bit off for a few minutes after. Hopefully there's not any lasting effects from that. I was trying to be super careful and it was like my betta aimed for the suction tube and swam up it.
That looks almost exactly like Maggie when I first got her! (except Maggie isn't a baby) Anyways, good luck with her!

EDIT: I thought I quoted the pic but apparently not. Oh well. BTW, what's her name?

Last edited by rubinthebetta; 11-15-2012 at 05:18 PM.
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote