Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #11 
fishyMcDoodle

For the sake of empirical knowledge about filter media/BB transfers, if there are no recommendations in the next few days about a more advisable course of action I'll take the bioscrubber looking thing from the Tetra Whisper 10i and scrape the brown buildup (BB) onto the sponge of the AquaClear 20. I've read a journal study about nitrifying bacteria and the brown are just clumps of bacteria held together by their secretions, so theoretically they won't die right..?

I'm coming off of a fishless cycle anyways and I really want to get the AquaClear 20 up and running by itself so this may be a useful experiment for future reference.

presently, I'll just let both filters run together just in case there are some clear-cut recommendations that arise shortly
fishyMcDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #12 
Wendyjo

You can give the old filter media a good squeeze in the tank water and swish it around or squeeze it right onto the new filter media - that will help seed it.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #13 
fishyMcDoodle

Okay so I've started playing a bit of science with my currently fishless 5.5 gal.

I looked at my Tetra Whisper 10i's bioscrubber component and there are a lot of nitrifying bacteria colonized. I've scraped the bioscrubber onto the Aqua Clear 20's sponge component so that I can see the bacteria clumps sticking to the sponge.

According to some forums, I cycled (fishless) this 5.5 as if it were a 20~ Gal so yeah, theoretically there's plenty of bacteria.

I've also now removed the Tetra Whisper 10i filter and put the bioscrubber into a separate emergency tank to keep the bacteria alive just in case the Aqua Clear doesn't work out. I've just put in a small piece of frozen shrimp (continuation of my fishless cycle method) and I am going to test the water parameters over the next few days to see if I've successfully transferred the bacteria. I've also fully submersed the carbon mesh bag from the Tetra Whisper into the 5.5 tank because i've noticed some bacterial growth on it as well.

Any suggestions? I'm looking to move my betta from his temporary housing to his newly cycled 5.5 soon.
fishyMcDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #14 
SinX7

You can swish the filter in the old water if you had any xD

But I just let it ran for a bit before putting my betta in so it can get some BB in the filter.
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #15 
Wendyjo

As far as your comment about cycling a 5.5g as tho it were a 20g - it doesn't quite work like that. The bacteria will grow just enough to support the bioload of the tank - the actual size of the tank doesn't have anything to do with it. So you could have a 50g tank with 5 guppies in it, and the bacteria in that filter would not immediately support a 10g tank with 10 guppies in it because irregardless of the tank size there is still double the bioload.

It's recommended to do water tests for a while after adding fish to a tank that's been fishless cycled because 1) you may not have enough bacteria to support the bioload, which would cause an ammonia spike, but also 2) you may have too much bacteria for your bioload, in which case some of the bacteria will die (starve) and that dead bacteria will also produce ammonia. This is quite possible if you cycle using high amounts of ammonia and then add one little fish.

So just keep on testing for a few weeks after stocking the tank. But I doubt you have to worry about not having enough bacteria even on the new filter you just seeded and you should be able to move your betta over there any time. When I set up a new betta tank I just take a piece of the filter from my larger tank, squeeze it and rinse it in the new tank water, and add my betta. Testing shows no spikes because the betta has such a light bioload compared to the 30 or so fish in my larger tank.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #16 
Wendyjo

By the way, it's awesome that you're playing around like this cause it shows that you actually understand what you're doing. Cycling is very confusing until you've actually done one, and then you sit back and wonder what all the fuss was about.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #17 
paloverde

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
As far as your comment about cycling a 5.5g as tho it were a 20g - it doesn't quite work like that. The bacteria will grow just enough to support the bioload of the tank - the actual size of the tank doesn't have anything to do with it. So you could have a 50g tank with 5 guppies in it, and the bacteria in that filter would not immediately support a 10g tank with 10 guppies in it because irregardless of the tank size there is still double the bioload.

It's recommended to do water tests for a while after adding fish to a tank that's been fishless cycled because 1) you may not have enough bacteria to support the bioload, which would cause an ammonia spike, but also 2) you may have too much bacteria for your bioload, in which case some of the bacteria will die (starve) and that dead bacteria will also produce ammonia. This is quite possible if you cycle using high amounts of ammonia and then add one little fish.

So just keep on testing for a few weeks after stocking the tank. But I doubt you have to worry about not having enough bacteria even on the new filter you just seeded and you should be able to move your betta over there any time. When I set up a new betta tank I just take a piece of the filter from my larger tank, squeeze it and rinse it in the new tank water, and add my betta. Testing shows no spikes because the betta has such a light bioload compared to the 30 or so fish in my larger tank.
agree 100%
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #18 
paloverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
By the way, it's awesome that you're playing around like this cause it shows that you actually understand what you're doing. Cycling is very confusing until you've actually done one, and then you sit back and wonder what all the fuss was about.
Ditto!
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote