Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #1 
BettaDave

Talking 75 gallon?

Hi,

I just set up our new 75 gallon tank. The tank is newly planted with sand, slate, drift wood, 300 watt heater, and led light. We will be using this tank for community fish but will not have the filter for another month. I'm wondering if my very active betta that's in a 2.5 gal tank would be ok to put in there? My concern is the depth as its 18" tall and I know bettas like "puddles".

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
BettaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #2 
Wendyjo

Try it and see. I've kept females in my 40g hex which is 20" tall, and she was fine. Are you planning to keep him in there once you get the other fish? If not, I'm wondering why you want to move him?
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #3 
BettaDave

We don't plan on keeping him in there as the filter will be way to powerfull for him but I figured he could spend a month in there and can help contribute a microscopic amount to establishing the tank haha. Also the 2.5 he's in now doesn't have a heater and our house is getting cold at night and the 75 has a heater already. (I'm picking a heater up forthr small tank in a few days)
Old 11-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #4 
BettaDave

Plus he would be something to look at in that massive tank for a month I guess
Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #5 
emeraldmaster

Again, you might be able to keep him in there if you have a comunity going in it. but as a permenant thing by himself... that's just too stinking big!!! but if that is the only tank with a heater, then focus on his health, not his comfort, which means that he will be put in there despite what he desires. it does no good to worry about him being pretty if he is dead from the cold. sorry for being blunt! and yes, he will help a little to cycle that massive tank. and who knows, he may like it!
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #6 
BettaDave

Ok I'll try him out in it. Only reason I dont plan to keep him in there is we plan to have a FX5 and I feel the currently will be to strong for him.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #7 
Wendyjo

Without a filter in there the tank won't cycle in any event.

Personally I would just get a heater for his tank and leave him be. Switching him from one tank to another and then back again is probably gonna stress him out, and a stressed out betta is much more likely to develop health issues.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #8 
paloverde

Hi, everyone has given you excellent advise, and I may be stepping out of line here, but that filter you are planning to get is not planted tank friendly. The fx5 is better suited for an African Rift lake type of setup. The currents it produces are substantial, and in a planted tank, it would be overkill... in my humble opinion. Congrats on the 75!
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #9 
emeraldmaster

it is good that you mention that though, bettadave has to have ALL the info he can get in order to make an informed decision. i failed to think of the plants, so thank you for the addon!
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote