Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #1 
Wendyjo

I gotta give Petco props

They had some really really nice looking bettas today - lots of fancy fins on big healthy looking fish. I had my eye on 3 of them but I just don't have the room for any more. But dangit they were gorgeous.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #2 
sunstar93

The Petco by where I live has 2 beautiful HM Butterflies. Want! But I ended up rescuing a little guy last night so I don't have much room..
I love just looking at all the beauties they get in(:
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #3 
jsgossamer

The petco fish look great when the shipment first comes in. Three days later they start looking horrible because they either never change the water or do it once in a blue moon. Petco is betta hell and dont deserve any props. : (
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #4 
thisismethere

I questioned a Petco employee about fin rot on a betta and he said "No thats just his coloring,we change the water once a week'" ugh... (wish I could save them all)
thisismethere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #5 
Wendyjo

The bettas at my local store are usually in pretty good shape. The cups are clean and I think when the fish do get ill it's from shipping - once they get to the store they take good care of them. But the ones I saw today were outstanding.

My local Petsmart, on the other hand, is a horror.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #6 
Butterfly

I got my halfmoon male from petco a little while ago and he is very active and cute...he follows my finger on the side of the bowl and likes to be spoken to. I had a $5 off coupon when I got him so go figure. But some of the other bettas did not look too hot.
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #7 
Cez

My local Petco is hit-and-miss on the state of their bettas, but a store in a nearby town has bettas that have been dead so long in their containers that there's a white fuzz accumulating on them. I think it really depends on the staff in each particular store.

The local store used to do water changes daily and a staff member actually fed the babies three times a day, small foods. Not sure if she did it of her own accord or if it was the manager's idea, but those were happier fish than most.
Cez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #8 
Zoonoo

I agree with jsgoassamer, it seems like they're probably fine when they're new but go downhill from there. :( I visited a Petco the other day and many of the fish were resting on their sides at the top of the water due to swimbladder issues.
Zoonoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #9 
MeganJo215

I guess we will all have different experiences in different locations, but my Petco was awful. :( I was lucky to find the beauty I got (HMDT). All of the others looked so bad... :'(

The Petsmart where I live is wonderful though! They always look clean and rarely are there any unhealthy looking bettas. I go to Petsmart for everything, because the one here is just better. :) Glad that the Petco where you live is really good though! :)
MeganJo215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #10 
Wendyjo

If you see fish in bad conditions you should complain - and not just to the store manager but to the headquarters. I had to do that with the Petsmart near me when they installed a horrible barracks system for their bettas. And they eventually did away with it and went back to cups, which believe it or not is better than this system was. And don't just complain but stop buying there and let the manager and headquarters know the exact reason you're taking your business somewhere else.