Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #1 
aemaki09

Question about selling fry to LFS's

So I've got some CT fry coming up and I know that I wont be able to find a home for every single one of them, the family owned fish store near me said they would be interested, depending on how they look and what I would be asking for them.

What would you say is a good price to ask? I'm okay with getting store credit but don't know how much of that would be reasonable per fish??

Any ideas would be great
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #2 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
So I've got some CT fry coming up and I know that I wont be able to find a home for every single one of them, the family owned fish store near me said they would be interested, depending on how they look and what I would be asking for them.

What would you say is a good price to ask? I'm okay with getting store credit but don't know how much of that would be reasonable per fish??

Any ideas would be great
I've heard that 6 cents per fish is generous from a pet store, so anything around/above that would be something to accept. You should also consider asking them if they would let you provide a care sheet to go along with their betta display to give them the best possible chance at good homes.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #3 
aemaki09

Oh I'd definitely try to include enough care sheets to go with each fish I don't want them to go to bad homes. This fish store is pretty good about letting their customers about taking care of them and not many people other than serious aquarists know it even exists which is why I was happy they said theyd be interested, I would rather not cull more than I have to.

And thanks for replying!!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #4 
ashokantony

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
I've heard that 6 cents per fish is generous from a pet store, so anything around/above that would be something to accept. You should also consider asking them if they would let you provide a care sheet to go along with their betta display to give them the best possible chance at good homes.
6 cents? Is that all? I believe the cost of setting up a breeding environment, taking care of the frys in early stages would be much more than getting back 6 cents. Wow. I never realized it would be this low from LPS.
ashokantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #5 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokantony View Post
6 cents? Is that all? I believe the cost of setting up a breeding environment, taking care of the frys in early stages would be much more than getting back 6 cents. Wow. I never realized it would be this low from LPS.
It's only real Benoit you get from breeding is seeing the babies grow up, sometimes you get a few that are nice enough for AB and once in a while a show quality fish.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Is there a system . . . not sure what to call it . . . where the LFS doesn't buy your fish but you can display them there. Then you split the revenue (?). Though many do cost about 6 cents from Asian breeders, but considering you're in the US where breeding and raising them cost much much more, isn't that tooooo low. You should at least get $1 for each. I'm sure the LFS will sell for a much higher price . . . . just a thought.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #7 
aemaki09

Well, I was talking to another breeder somewhat close to my area, she said she generally gets .50/fish and about .75 if it were store credit...so I'm going to strive for that, I doubt they have a system for me to just display there but I can check. I'm not too worried about the price I am getting as long as they take them, just wanted to know what would be reasonable to ask from them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #8 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokantony View Post
Sadly, yes. It's one of the reasons everyone stresses how expensive breeding is. You're not guaranteed to make back what you spent. You may be able to get more because it is a family-owned store and not a chain store; I just want you to be prepared for a low offer and not think they're trying to rip you off. You may be able to command better prices once you build a relationship with a store and they know they can expect a certain amount of fish from you on a regular basis too.

Fish stores lose a good chunk of fish to pure negligence and accidents/disease outbreaks (and chain stores lose way more than mom & pop places, usually), plus they spend money on supplies and staffing, so they don't like to spend a ton upfront in order to ensure they ultimately make a profit.

The more you know about the store you want to sell to, the better. If this place seems well-run, with a knowledgeable staff that tries to make sure their customers know everything about a fish before buying, then selling your fish through these people is worth more than money in some ways. You know you're at least sending the fish to people who care so they will be less likely to live in tiny bowls eating goldfish food. Obviously making back what you spent would be ideal too, so shop around on prices in your area if that's possible. And I second putting the nicest ones on AquaBid.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #9 
ashokantony

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Sadly, yes. It's one of the reasons everyone stresses how expensive breeding is. You're not guaranteed to make back what you spent. You may be able to get more because it is a family-owned store and not a chain store; I just want you to be prepared for a low offer and not think they're trying to rip you off. You may be able to command better prices once you build a relationship with a store and they know they can expect a certain amount of fish from you on a regular basis too.

Fish stores lose a good chunk of fish to pure negligence and accidents/disease outbreaks (and chain stores lose way more than mom & pop places, usually), plus they spend money on supplies and staffing, so they don't like to spend a ton upfront in order to ensure they ultimately make a profit.

The more you know about the store you want to sell to, the better. If this place seems well-run, with a knowledgeable staff that tries to make sure their customers know everything about a fish before buying, then selling your fish through these people is worth more than money in some ways. You know you're at least sending the fish to people who care so they will be less likely to live in tiny bowls eating goldfish food. Obviously making back what you spent would be ideal too, so shop around on prices in your area if that's possible. And I second putting the nicest ones on AquaBid.
I do see how it is important for LPS to get it on the lower range. I guess this goes on to show that one would be in this breeding program for the sheer pasion, defenitely not for the money, at least not during the initial stages. If someone goes into this with wrong idea (to make money), I guess quickly they will get demotivated and skip the idea.
ashokantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #10 
Creat

For ct I would expect maybe 50 cents depending on how they look (Offer a dollar per fish and haggle from there ;) )... If you have more variety in the babies (say marbles over solid reds) you might be able to sell more or ask more. Betta have a slow turn around meaning that having worked in a pet store vt and ct sit on shelves more often for over 3 months. LFS have to put in money as well to care for them during that time. I always do LFS last sense you never will make money. Try aquabid for the nicest then try listing them here and sell the remainder to the pet store.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote