Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2012, 03:31 AM   #1 
PinoyPooPow

Exclamation Surprise.... BBBabies!

Hey everyone!

Well i know this is small, but i have a 9L tank in my bedroom as a decoration and bought a "female" betta fish to put into it. Everything was fine until my friend gave her fish to me as she didnt have time for it anymore and i felt sorry for it. So anyway, i didnt want to put it into my 90L tank because i already have so many fish in there plus 6 week old guppy fries!

Well back to my tank. I thought it would be fine as they both were advertised as girls in the pet shop and everything... they also did some fighting but i just removed my friends fish and placed her into my 90L tank when it got too rough and placed it back to see if i can re-introduce. Everything was going well too and they didnt fight as much. Then when i came home from school, it was to my surprise that the blue/green/red bette fish had built a bubble nest and i saw eggs in them (seen some pictures and videos on them). I knew for sure as "he" no flares at the other betta fish when she comes near! Even me!

Please help me this is urgent... I'm not even sure when they were laid because i was at school. Yeah the tank is small too.. i was going to move them into one of them plastic boxes but i'm not sure when (like if they're too fragile..) and i dont know what to feed them (I live in australia and never seen bbs or anything like that.. could i use maybe sea monkeys?) and what lighting.. and temperature... and things like that. I have guppy fry food too but i'm not sure about that.. Oh and i'll upload pictures later.. just dont judge at the tank size because i know its small but mum didn't want me getting a big one in my room.. so sorry in advance.

Thanks
PinoyPooPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Cruel as it sounds I would honestly just get rid of the eggs and not bother trying to get them to hatch.

Bettas are a completely different ball game to guppies to raise, and even if you manage to get the eggs to hatch you are probably going to end up losing most if not all of the fry in the first week or so anyway.

You need a lot of time and space if you are going to be serious about raising and growing out a spawn of bettas.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #3 
PinoyPooPow

Hmm, yeah I guess you're right. And yes, I don't have time because of school and the 2 month holiday I'll be taking.. Thanks for the wake up call haha. I'd rather let them go now then see them alive and not being treadle properly.
PinoyPooPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #4 
sainthogan

The female will eat them anyway, if you leave her in there too long, which could result in a very nasty fight between her and the male resulting in one of their deaths. The male will try his hardest to guard the young from her, but females can end up being more viscous than the males, so it could end up being him that dies.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #5 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Cruel as it sounds I would honestly just get rid of the eggs and not bother trying to get them to hatch.

Bettas are a completely different ball game to guppies to raise, and even if you manage to get the eggs to hatch you are probably going to end up losing most if not all of the fry in the first week or so anyway.

You need a lot of time and space if you are going to be serious about raising and growing out a spawn of bettas.
+1

Sorry for this sounding rude, but even if you decided to try to keep them you wouldn't really have time to get and hatch any live food for them to survive on, you would probably need to order some kind of culture online if you couldn't find a pet store that had BBS eggs near you....better to not let them hatch than to see them dying off
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote