Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #1 
sunstar93

Exclamation Velvet in New Betta?

I feel so dumb right now.
I got Lucky last night from Petco (got him for free because he is looked sick, underweight and dull color). Brought him home and set him up in my old 3 gallon, went out and got him some silk plants, a "flower ball" decoration to hide in, set up my heater and small filter (very little flow).
Well tonight, I noticed that he had a strange color around his gills. I took a flashlight and shined it on him....dark rust color. My stomach dropped and I am afraid the poor boy has velvet. The worst part??? I used the gravel vac earlier in his tank and then went and vaccumed out Leo's tank (my other betta who lives in a 10 gallon with 4 cories). I know that velvet is contagious and am afraid that Leo will get it!
Please help!! I would hate to lose him after just getting him...

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78-79 *F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes (very small, low flow)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I have tried crushing up a couple of pellets, a few flakes and a couple of bloodworms. (yesterday he ate a pellet, today 2 bloodworms and that is all)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Just got him, did a 1/3 water change with gravel vac to remove uneaten flakes from bottom of tank.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1/3
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? StressCoat, Jungle StartZyme (since it is an uncycled tank), API Tap Water Conditioner (removes chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0.5 (naturally in the water, can't really do much with it)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.4 (again, naturally in the water)
Hardness: 0 - very soft
Alkalinity: 300

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Just got him but is dull in color, clamped fins, rust color around his gills
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic most of the time, gills look like he is gasping for air
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Tonight
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No because I don't really know what to treat him with
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I just got him so no idea
How old is your fish (approximately)? Juvenile, he is small.
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #2 
paloverde

Dim the lights, raise the temps and pm sakura she in online somewhere in this forum.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #3 
sunstar93

He seems to be doing a little better. He ate a couple of baby pellets and a small bloodworm last night and this morning (2 feedings). But I wonder if he gets tired? I caught him laying at the very bottom of his tank, just laying there. He didn't even move until I stuck my hand in there, then shot up and gulped air. Should I put him in his cup and float him? The water is 84 degrees right now.
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote