Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #51 
Lissa3116

I have a friend who has their Betta in a vase with bamboo, but the vase is massive and its really happy. But a vase that small, I think is so unfair to the fish.
Lissa3116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #52 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

What is really happy to you. To me healthy, active, unclamped fins, and colorful is healthy to me.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #53 
horsyqueen

How cruel, I do feel sorry for the fish. I keep tropical plants as well as Betta fish and thats not even good for the plant. Any fertilisers will seep into the tank and kill the fish :/
horsyqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #54 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Ferts are not deadly to Bettas. With guppies I put a pot over water and all the water that made it into the tank went through the potted plant which got ferts they survived a while until I forgot a water change.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #55 
emeraldmaster

I still am under the impression that if you have a betta that doesnt seem to phisically mind the smaller space, maybe even prefering it, and the plant is not taking over. And that the owner is smart enough to do things right, then it is alright to keep a betta in a vase. it is exactly like having it in a bowl or a tank, only a bit smaller and an ugly shape. i also think that we give people too much crap about it, as if we can REALLY do something about it short of stalking their tanks to make sure that it is done to OUR likings.
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #56 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

What about the Bettas liking?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:29 AM   #57 
Kytkattin

Considering it would be safe to say every fish in a petstore is raised in a cup no larger than .5 gallons, the betta will not know anything bigger or better. While they are intelligent fish, they don't need to be humanized.

Is a vase ideal for a betta? Well, no because there isn't a lot of surface space and they really are surface dwelling fish. Could a betta adapt if the temp was correct and the water kept clean? Absolutely. And if someone can and wants to pull that off, more power to them.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #58 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I can survive but it would not thrive.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #59 
Wendyjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I can survive but it would not thrive.
Exactly. A dog can survive chained up to a dog house it's whole life too, and while it's not illegal to do so, overall the general population frowns upon it and realizes that it's not in the best interest of the dog to keep it housed in such a manner. And if I had a friend who was going to get a dog and keep it in such conditions, I would suggest that he/she perhaps wait to get a pet until he/she is better prepared to invest the time, money and commitment it takes to ensure that the pet thrives.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #60 
emeraldmaster

Again, i agree. but if there is nothing that we can phisically do other than to stalk there vase/tanks, then we need to realize this and move on. yes, it is not the perfect tank. no, it is not the kindest thing to do to the fish. but if the fish knows no better, than this will still seem like a mansion to them. which would you prefer them in? a cup or a vase... thought so. so leets just let them be, it is too controversial to do anything about it. im outta here, can't do nothing anyway. y'alls just going to argue untill the betta species goes extinct anyway.
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote