Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #11 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa3116 View Post
Yeah, its so small I can't even strain it so... I guess I am not properly cleaning the gravel. It has been p&^%#^ me off since I first got it. I am Canadian I don't understand gallons haha. Sorry. :P
6" cube tank seems like a 2L or 1/2 gallon tank.

I would invest in a larger tank, it will make your life a lot easier :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #12 
Butterfly

no no worries!! With a small tank just make sure you change your water(or partial changes and a fullchange at least once a week) to ensure that the ammonia doesn't build up. :)
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #13 
Lissa3116

Trust me, I do want a large tank and I already know which one I am going to buy (3.5 gallon) I just honestly don't have the time to cycle it right now because I am in University and its my last semester so I am very busy. But like I said above, tomorrow I am getting new gravel and plants since mine falls apart and I can see myself getting that tank in about 2-3 weeks.
Lissa3116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #14 
Lissa3116

Sharkbait is very active in his small tank so I am excited to see what he would be like in his bigger tank.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #15 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa3116 View Post
Trust me, I do want a large tank and I already know which one I am going to buy (3.5 gallon) I just honestly don't have the time to cycle it right now because I am in University and its my last semester so I am very busy. But like I said above, tomorrow I am getting new gravel and plants since mine falls apart and I can see myself getting that tank in about 2-3 weeks.
Hi5! I'm a senior too XD fish are soooo distracting >.>
you really don't need to intentionally cycle a 3.5 gallon. with regular water changes, filter, and a fish, the tank will eventually cycle itself :)

For now a plant like a lucky bamboo (leaves above water) will do great in your tank in keeping ammonia levels down :)

I have enough plants in my tank that I don't do water changes for months >.> there's a beautiful balance in there =D
Old 11-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #16 
Lissa3116

Woohoo to almost being done!

Really? That is good to know because I have been reading about cycling constantly. Also, I have wanted to put a bamboo inside my tank but I have been scared. Any tips?
Old 11-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #17 
ao
TFK Moderator

it's always good to look for a bamboo that is healthy with good strong roots (not rotting)

when you being it home, trim off any mushy roots and run under tap water, washing it very clean.

then place the bamboo in your tank - just stick it in there and have it leaning against a wall, no need to plant it, this will make water changes much easier.

I prefer bamboos over aquarium plants in small tanks as submersed plants leave little room for the betta to swim in.

if the bamboo does it's job properly, your water should remain clear.

Here's a photo of my bamboo :)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/14/ydybarej.jpg

make sure the bamboo has a decent light source. you can keep it somewhere where the leaves will be under indirect natural light. the stem doesn't need to be illuminated.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #18 
Lissa3116

I think its beautiful! I think its just hard when its winter in Canada, trying to find bamboo when it is -10 outside. But I really like the idea of putting bamboo in my tank
Old 11-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #19 
ao
TFK Moderator

XD I cant believe you think that messay tank Is beautiful!
:) you can find bamboos in asian shops, chinatown and stuff... even in the middle of winter >.>
Old 11-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #20 
Lissa3116

True! Thanks a lot for your help. Hope to clear this cloudy water soon and KEEP it away. :)