Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #1 
Nothingness

How to adjust pH levels

I picked up the master test kit an just tested the pH of one of my tanks it read 7.8. I know betta can do alright in that pH level but is there anyway to lower it a bit to a more appropriate level?

Arthur is doing fine and is very active FYI in that water but a 7.8 reading just peak my interest in his health.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #2 
inuudo

If 7.8 is what he's used to, then it would be a mistake to adjust it. If he is used to a lower pH and you want to transition him to a tank that has a higher pH, you coud lower the pH a bit by adding driftwood (less change) or peat moss (more change).
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

It would be better to leave the ph as it is and he will fine Betta adjust to most all ph levels.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

good acclimatization practices is sufficient to transfer a betta from one type of water to another. The more dramatic the difference, the slower the acclimatization process should be.

7.8 is not a bad PH at all, and he will be fine in the water. adjusting PH usually does more harm than good.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #5 
Nothingness

OK good to know. Its the same source water he's been in since I got him so he is used to the pH levels. My other concern is my new plants I put in there. 2 swords, 2 anabus, java fern and a hornswort. There seems to be no melting of the plants from the pH levels so fingers crossed they hold up ok. Its only been 5 days with them

Last edited by Nothingness; 11-14-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #6 
TheMCP

7.8 is really not that bad, stop worrying about it. Seriously. It's fine.

The time to treat the ph of your water is when you have water like mine: my tap water's ph is so high if I put a fish in it the fish will seize up and die. If you don't have a problem like that, don't worry about adjusting it.
TheMCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #7 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post
OK good to know. Its the same source water he's been in since I got him so he is used to the pH levels. My other concern is my new plants I put in there. 2 swords, 2 anabus, java fern and a hornswort. There seems to be no melting of the plants from the pH levels so fingers crossed they hold up ok. Its only been 5 days with them
Hornwort is an excellent plant for bettas.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #8 
Nothingness

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
Hornwort is an excellent plant for bettas.
Ya i know, Arthur loves to swim through the hornswort. So happy I made the switch to live plants from the silk. The 3 ghost shrimp I have love to hide in the hornswort as well but it make it impossible to find them in it