Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #21 
carbonxxkidd

Right. So far I have had the fish in the tank for about a week and a half, and have done 25% water changes every other day, including the gravel/plates. I checked all the parameters today and ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are all non-existent (or at least at the lowest setting on the test strips). I probably shouldn't be doing THAT frequent of water changes if I want to try and cycle it, right?

I was going to do a 100% change today, but I haven't yet and am debating if I should do a water change at all - I just did one on Wednesday.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #22 
paloverde

You have a lot on your plate at the moment with sick fish and all. The best way to set up a ugf is to view your gravel as the almighty source of bacteria paradise.Gravel depth needs to be about 2 in. I mix a handful of seachem matrix ( it's just bits of pumice ) in with the gravel, it helps the bacteria keep strong colony and also helps with water flow. Use a fresh new airstone and thread it down the up lift tube so that it is at the top of the gravel layer, you dont want bubbles going under the filter plate.Adjust air flow so that the rising bubbles cause a vacuum.Dont disturb the gravel while it is cycling very important to let mother nature do her thing. If you are doing a fish in cycle carefully siphon the waste from the top of the the gravel bed while you do your pwc.without disturbing the gravel. Once the tank is fully cycled you can vacuum one 1/2 of the substrate weekly without too much bacteria loss. You can also siphon from under the ugf plate buy way of the up lift tube highly recommend doing this monthly. All of this maintenance takes very little time.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #23 
Tikibirds

I'm not an expert on cycling but I do know you need two things. One being the filter and the 2nd being a source of ammonia - which would be the fish. In order for the ammonia to build up enough for the bacteria to do whatever it is they do with it, it needs to be at a certain level. However you don't want the ammonia to get to high or it will be bad for the betta. If you hae the liquid test kit, I would test the water every day or every other day. That way you know exactly where your ammonia stands. I tried the test strips but I found them very hard to read. There are some good threads on here about cycling and water changes and all that stuff. I know OFL had one that is stickied and I know I have seen some other good ones on here.

EDIT:

Quote:
1-4gal with a filter
Twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-50% with substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method.
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #24 
carbonxxkidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloverde View Post
You have a lot on your plate at the moment with sick fish and all. The best way to set up a ugf is to view your gravel as the almighty source of bacteria paradise.Gravel depth needs to be about 2 in. I mix a handful of seachem matrix ( it's just bits of pumice ) in with the gravel, it helps the bacteria keep strong colony and also helps with water flow. Use a fresh new airstone and thread it down the up lift tube so that it is at the top of the gravel layer, you dont want bubbles going under the filter plate.Adjust air flow so that the rising bubbles cause a vacuum.Dont disturb the gravel while it is cycling very important to let mother nature do her thing. If you are doing a fish in cycle carefully siphon the waste from the top of the the gravel bed while you do your pwc.without disturbing the gravel. Once the tank is fully cycled you can vacuum one 1/2 of the substrate weekly without too much bacteria loss. You can also siphon from under the ugf plate buy way of the up lift tube highly recommend doing this monthly. All of this maintenance takes very little time.
I will try this! It doesn't sound too difficult. I'm glad my healthy fish is in the tank with the UGF, it makes things much less stressful. Thanks for all the tips :)
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #25 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Under gravel filters are old and out of fashion.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #26 
ao
TFK Moderator

fashion trends comes in cycles ;) don't be surprised if it comes back again, new and improved!

haha
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #27 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Well sounds like a lot of improvements.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #28 
Aurie

*reads the first 2 sentences of the original post then skips forward to the "post" box .......

SOMEONE IS AN XFILES FAN EH?

Sorry.. carry on...
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:53 AM   #29 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

What is that X thing?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #30 
Polishdiva1

Ok this is very off topic, but carbonxxkidd.. what kind of cat is that??? lol
Polishdiva1 is offline   Reply With Quote