Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #21 
courtnam

Ok... I really need your help. I started Marley on the general cure and after the first dose he seemed much better, eating and swimming around. After the second dose I went away for two days and when I came back... His tummy was just as big if not bigger! He stopped eating and went right back to the way he was. Now his fins are doing that thing again where they turn BLACK at the ends and are falling off in chunks! Also he is continuing to poo long white strings.... I feel like I am running out of options! Should I try the general cure again? Should I put Epsom salt back in? Please help!!!
courtnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #22 
Sakura8

Yikes! Sounds like he still has parasites AND on top of it he's got a nasty fin rot case.

Okay, first, yeah, let's go back to the General Cure for the parasites. If we can get rid of them, he can start eating again and regain his strength to fight off the fin rot.

Don't start him on epsom salts just yet. Instead, what I want you to do is to prepare a gallon container of dechlorinated water with 3 tsps of AQ salt. Make sure the water is similar in temp to his tank so he doesn't get shocked. If you can, I'd like you to put him in this salt bath for 30 minutes twice a day for maybe 4-5 days. This is the only way I can think of to treat both the rot and parasites without you needing to buy a whole mess of expensive meds.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #23 
courtnam

I should've waited for you to answer before I did anything... but I was so panicked that I felt like I had to do something. I changed his water 100% and cleaned everything.

Good news... I started him back on the General Cure.

Bad news... I put epsom salts in his tank... I will do whatever I need to make sure he gets treated properly. So is it unsafe to take him directly from his tank (which currently has epsom salt in it) and directly put him in the Aquarium salt bath? or should I change his water again, NOT add epsom salt this time and then put him in the bath?

I am really worried... It just looks like his stomach might explode! and he won't eat a thing... I don't want him to starve!

I will start right away with the aquarium salt baths, I just want to know if it is safe for him to go from water with epsom salt straight into water with aquarium salt?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #24 
Sakura8

I think if you acclimate him carefully, transitioning him from the epsom to the AQ and back should be okay.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #25 
courtnam

I am sad to say I think this is dropsy... I noticed when I put him in the aquarium salt bath that his scales are protruding (pine coning) what do I do? Is it too late to save him? Could this be caused by something else?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #26 
Sakura8

:( If he has severe parasites, then yes, it can cause dropsy. This is tricky because I really want to help the dropsy but I'm afraid if we ignore his tail, the rot will take over. Okay. Two options and unfortunately, both are going to cost money. If you can't do this, that's perfectly understandable.

First is a conservative method. You'll need Kordon Methylene Blue for this. One tsp per 5 gallons and he'll need to be bathed in that for 30 minutes twice a day.

Second is Seachem Kanaplex, API Furan-2, and Seachem Metro in combination. Both Kanaplex and Metro would need to be ordered online. This is an extremely strong concoction that would treat bacterial and parasitic symptoms. The question, if you wanted to do this, is if Marley could hold on long enough for the meds to arrive.

Finally, continuing with the course you're on now would be fine too. To be honest, dropsy symptoms often (not always but often) signify that the organs are beginning to shut down and the end is near. If you don't want to spend money on a fish who may die anyway, that is understandable.

I wish I had more positive news for you. :(

Tags
betta, dropsy, fin rot, ick, sick