Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #1 
Maplefox

Unhappy Lump on male Betta's side is getting bigger!

Housing
What size is your tank?

1 gallon. He used to be in a 2 gallon but he didn't seem as active in it.

What temperature is your tank?
N/A

Does your tank have a filter?
Yes, a built in filter. But Alfred (my Betta) acts bothered by it when it's on. It pushes him around and he seems to have a harder time swimming against it's current. So I've ranged from having it on at times to not.

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No.

Is your tank heated?
Our house is old, and it's temperature fluxuates a lot... so usually his does too. I have a Beta Bowl heater that doesn't have any controls on it, but it heats a 1 gallon to a 3 gallon at the right temperature for Betas. It's a 7.5W if that matters.

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
None. Just his treasure chest hide out/home.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?

Betta pellets and Freezer dried Blood worms as treats, once a week.

How often do you feed your betta fish?
Once a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?

Every other week. It depends on the "debris" or how messy it seems. If it's really clean, not much waste, I let it last a little longer. If it's really messy with algea, then it gets cleaned sooner. Only have to worry about the latter during the hot summer, though.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
About 80% of it. I get a glass and pour Alfred and some of his current water in it, then clean out his tank and such.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Nothing. I used to add a supplement that would make sure my water was clean and pure for Betta's when I used tap water, but once I moved and started using store bought water, I stopped.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

I've never tested my water.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Yes, a lump has formed on his side and the color of his scales on the lump have changed. I have taken pictures.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
He's not as active. Seems to prefer to either float near the top in the darker, covered portion of his tank in the corner or just lay on his side on the bottom of the tank.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
A few months ago. But when I first bought him, he had a 'bump' and that always seemed to affect him. What I mean is, he'd lean to that side more when he was sitting still, or he'd curve a little more to that side.
I bought him a year ago this Christmas.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
I'm not sure, just yet, what to start treating for. Should I add some aquarium salt to his tank for a while? Should I hope it's constipation and fast him, then feed him a portion of a pea? Should I buy meds? D:

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
Other then the bump since I've had him, no.

How old is your fish (approximately)?
I can't be completely sure. He was smallish when I got him a year ago. And not as brightly colored then either. I would guess at about 2 years old?

The Full Story:
Ever since I've bought Alfred, I've notice his right side was a bit rounded out near his tail, like he was a bit meatier or curved there. I never thought much of it before because he acted normal and happy. That is until these past few months. The rounded area looks bigger and now there's a lump in his side that's separate from it. That lump's color is different then the rest of him and just plain looks bad. And now, he's starting to have a horrible time trying to swim and he's starting to curve around in an 'S' shape. D:
I've tried to research certain things and the only few I could come across are perhaps: Constipation, Tumor, or a Swim Bladder Disorder.
Can anyone please help me? I'll try anything, I just don't want him to suffer. Even if fish "can't feel pain", I can and it bothers me seeing it. :C
Maplefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #2 
Maplefox

I totally forgot to add the pictures. So here they are!

The "S" curve he's stuck in.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:49 AM   #3 
paloverde

I am so sorry that your fish is ill, I have seen something like that before. It looks like it could be a tumor. Could you please pm sakura8 or oldfishlady they are the ones to best give you a answer.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #4 
Wendyjo

Looks like columnaris to me. Google it and determine which of the recommended meds are available to you and start treatment right away.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #5 
latriana465

Hi Maplefox,

I'm sorry this is happening to your betta. Sadly...your little guy looks like my late female that passed away. She had a lump on her side and she was curled on the bottom of the tank too. My suspicions is that she had a tumor and that yours may have a tumor too.
latriana465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #6 
Silverfang

it is likely a tumor. I've seen this on other bettas. It may turn out to be terminal, he might be able to live with this for months.

I'd suggest you contact OFL, she has better advice for dealing with this.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

It looks like a tumor-most likely a pigment cell and sadly not a lot you can do for it. Other then making him comfy-I would lower the water level, remove the filter and mix up some Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) 2tsp/gal and tannins in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water to use for partial water changes every 2-3 days. I would even add a leaf or two of your tannin source to his tank and provide good nutrition-If you have live mosquito larva-feed that, otherwise, good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals.
I would also cover the top of the tank with something like plastic veggie wrap to help keep retain the heat/humidity over the water for his labyrinth organ-especially since your house is cool and drafty.
Be sure and wash your hands really good before and after working with the Betta and tank water.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #8 
Maplefox

Lightbulb Thank you!

Thank you all so much for the well wishes and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
Looks like columnaris to me. Google it and determine which of the recommended meds are available to you and start treatment right away.
I did google Columnaris and came across this site that talks about it on Bettas: There's a picture of another Betta that seems to have the same lump as my Alfred. It does give suggestions on how to treat it, and that it can be cleared up. This gives me hope! Thank you so much for helping. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFishLady
It looks like a tumor-most likely a pigment cell and sadly not a lot you can do for it. Other then making him comfy-I would lower the water level, remove the filter and mix up some Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) 2tsp/gal and tannins in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water to use for partial water changes every 2-3 days. I would even add a leaf or two of your tannin source to his tank and provide good nutrition-If you have live mosquito larva-feed that, otherwise, good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals.
I would also cover the top of the tank with something like plastic veggie wrap to help keep retain the heat/humidity over the water for his labyrinth organ-especially since your house is cool and drafty.
Be sure and wash your hands really good before and after working with the Betta and tank water.
Thank you too a lot for your help. I'll be lowering his water level and changing it more often and I'll see if I can get some live mosquito larva-feed for him. I'm sure that would make him happy at least. The plastic wrap for his top, instead of the normal plastic cover sounds like a good idea. I haven't thought of that before.
If I'm going to try some medicine to see if it's Columnaris, cold I still add the Epson salt to his water or would it somehow counteract with the meds?

Thank you all again and I'm really sorry to hear about the other Betta fishies that had trouble too. :c

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 11-15-2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Link removed to another Betta forum

Tags
color change, constipation, lump, swim bladder disorder, tumor