Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #11 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdielikestomatoes View Post
Amazon is amazing for finding reliable fish supplies at a decent cost. Here's a list of some stuff that I've found or have been looking at that you might also be interested in.

Heater : http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...I2H4CV3XO7932F I've have the 25w heater in my 5g and it works great.

Tanks: http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Style-G...2953850&sr=1-5 It's a 5g kit that also comes with a filter and some other supplies. However I'd buy a different thermometer as the stick ons aren't that great.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarius-Aq150...=5+gallon+tank This one also has a filter and it's currently on sale for $30.
http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-GloFish-...953887&sr=1-46 This one is a 3g. It also has a filter.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarius-Aq125...954651&sr=1-88

To be honest the best tanks are usually the 5-10g in terms of pricing.

Water Conditioner: Prime is the best I've heard. I currently use API tap water conditioner which is a bit cheaper but also works well. And of course there is also API stress coat which is also a water conditioner I believe.

Decorations: Petsmart has better ornamants in my opinion however Petco has a large selection of silk plants.

Thermometer: http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Floatin...2954416&sr=1-1 You can also find a thermometer in Petsmart and Petco. I just love this thermometer though, which is why I posted it.
Probably the best option as far as quality goes. The filter is also nice because you can take their media out and just use your own, really easy to do so with the large space they allow.

I would use Seachem Prime though, it will last you forever with one 5 gallon tank.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:51 AM   #12 
Tikibirds

If your really on a tight budget - those see through storage bins from sterelite are your friend! They come in various shapes and sizes and are WAY WAY cheaper then an actual tank. Granted not the prettiest thing in the world but trust me, the betta will not care. Heaters - ebay might be the best bet. If you are not in need of a heater like right now - search it for a few days. Sooner or later you will find a 25 watt that's a good price. Or amazon is good too. Walmart has tetra pre set ones for cheap but the one I have does not work for crap.

The next step up is the petco petkeepers. They are about $10ish and more tank like. They come in sizes to extramly small up t0 5 gallons. The reptile ones are the same as the ones in the fish section but they were cheaper. Not sure if they still are or not.

Water conditioner - i use stress coat. Prime is also popular but I can't take the smell of it. I think its made out of some kind of sulfer. Basically any conditioner will do but some remove ammonia and stuff like prime and amquel plus while others do not.

Decor - check out ebay. There are some sellers in asia that have some nice stuff for cheap with free shipping. However it will take up to 3 weeks to get the items.

Filter is not really needed if its under 5 gallons. I don't bother with them unless the tank is 10 gallons or bigger. However that does mean more water changes. Again, check ebay or craigslist first. Alot of filters are going to be too strong so you will need to baffle them OR you can use a sponge filter which requires the purchase of an airpump, airline tubing, and the sponge filter itself. None of it is expensive - not much more then buying a power filter but I think you need to order the sponge filter itself online. I have never seen them in walmart, petsmart or petco.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:28 AM   #13 
vilmarisv

They first things I thought when I ready the title was :"is there such a thing?" LOL!

Check craiglist! I've seen lots of nice tanks dirt cheap but be careful about meeting a stranger fro the exchange PLEASE!!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:29 AM   #14 
Butterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
They first things I thought when I ready the title was :"is there such a thing?" LOL!

Check craiglist! I've seen lots of nice tanks dirt cheap but be careful about meeting a stranger fro the exchange PLEASE!!
Agree! LOL. I just ordered my guy a new tank, testing kit, etc. And I suppose that's the expensive part--assuming everything lasts/works. Hopefully he'll stay healthy and happy for the rest of his life.

Look on Amazon. I just ordered all my stuff from there(API testing kit, tank+(filter and stuff)+lid, stress coat... They have really good deals! SOME things will be cheaper in your local petco/walmart/etc, but Amazon had a better price on the tank I wanted than petco did on their 'sale' day. + it comes right to my door so... :D I bet you can find everything you need for $50 or less. You can get your water tested at a nearby petco. But that takes time and gas so IMO, the test kit is worth it.
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #15 
Matilda

I've bought a ton of stuff from Kens Fish. They have really good prices & ship very fast. I just upgraded 2 of my boys to XL Kritter Keepers & they were only $13.45 each.
Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

For me I am not on a budget might even be getting IAL. Proper care in a budget and craigslist go great. Many Petcos have the dollar per gallon sale.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #17 
LoveMyCay

I would suggest Walmart's Hawkeye 5 gallon tank..comes w/filter/food (I didn't use) and water conditioner. I purchased mines Monday for $27.

*Con-the filter is too strong, so will require fine tuning ( haven't learn to fix it myself).
*Pro- Walmart will accept a return on the tank even after you have opened and used the product if for any reason you are not satisfied. I am not sure on the time frame to return the item.

And for the heater.. Petsmart has a sale starting Friday, so check them out in-stores. Just make sure you get a quality heater so you are not wasting your money trying to replace or upgrade. I am still determining if the one I have now is good. Also, please buy a floating thermostat. I purchased the one you stick on the tank ($2-Petsmart) and I do not think it is giving me an accurate reading. Now, I have to go out and buy a floating thermostat ($4-5 Petsmart, may can find cheaper at Walmart/Amazon). But, I can honestly say I wasted over $30 dollars on items I ended up replacing b/c of the quality .

Good Luck...just shop around & read buyer reviews!!!
LoveMyCay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #18 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Amazon has the best prices I can find anywhere and the Elite adjustable heater is really great it keeps the tank at the temp I set it too with no problems. On black friday alot of things are free shipping. I hope you find what you need at a great price.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Craiglist has free stuff.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #20 
bryanacute

chocolate betta, is that $1 per gallon thing at petco still going on?
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, cheap, items