Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #1 
moonsand0wls

Question What to feed fry?

Would micro-worms or white-worms be okay to feed your fry?
I know a lot of people say to feed them brine shrimp aswell, put brine shrimp etc here are REALLY expensive, I mean, the eggs and a hatchery cost around $200+ and I don't have that. But micro-worm and white-worm cultures are cheaper. Would they be okay?

Also, would it be okay to raise the fry in the same spawning tank?

Thanks - I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I try to breed, which I'm looking at doing :)
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #2 
tanseattle

I feed MW for 4 weeks. Then decap bbs and bbs. By 6th week they can eat micro pellet (Hikari), and by 9 weeks they can eat micro waffer.

I think you will need decap bbs in place bbs.

I also have grindal worm after bbs (about 8-9 weeks).
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #3 
tanseattle

What I did was added extra decap bbs with MW after week 1. Then just add little more decap bbs each day.

I also feed MW on the morning, decap bbs afternoon, and MW dinner. I am sure they will eat decap by the 3rd week.
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #4 
KansaiBlonde

If you don't have a lot of other options, I've heard of some people using boiled egg yolk and straining small bits to feed the fry. I have also been using brewer's yeast and they seem happy enough to eat that. Although live food is much better, you can try these in the meantime.

My fry are just developing their pectoral fins now. They are adorable little things - good luck!
KansaiBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #5 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansaiBlonde View Post
If you don't have a lot of other options, I've heard of some people using boiled egg yolk and straining small bits to feed the fry. I have also been using brewer's yeast and they seem happy enough to eat that. Although live food is much better, you can try these in the meantime.

My fry are just developing their pectoral fins now. They are adorable little things - good luck!
Thank you! We do have BBS here, but some things here are way ridiculous (price wise) - $250+ for BBS! (And a little hatchery) I wasn't sure if the shop was trying to joke around or not -_-.

Would white worms and micro worms be okay, though? Or would I have to feed them something different? I would probably prefer live food, but I will keep your ideas in mind too. :D Thank you, what type of Betta did you breed together? :) I want to make sure everything is ready and perfect before I breed.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #6 
KansaiBlonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsand0wls View Post
Thank you! We do have BBS here, but some things here are way ridiculous (price wise) - $250+ for BBS! (And a little hatchery) I wasn't sure if the shop was trying to joke around or not -_-.

Would white worms and micro worms be okay, though? Or would I have to feed them something different? I would probably prefer live food, but I will keep your ideas in mind too. :D Thank you, what type of Betta did you breed together? :) I want to make sure everything is ready and perfect before I breed.
I know what you mean. The store that I work at didn't have BBS at all and if I wanted to order some in, I would have had to get a BIG package that I wouldn't really need. Thankfully I ended up going to Toronto and found what I needed there - one small pack of BBS for 3.99! You could try Big Al's online and see if they can ship to your area?

Microworms would be your best bet for new fry. I never managed to find any cultures but they are small enough and slow enough so that your fry should catch them. You can also try making infusoria (there are instructions online) and I actually ended up getting some frozen BBS and thawing portions out that I dripped into the tank. Some of them will be too big but I definitely noticed some being eaten!

I bred a red, white, and blue halfmoon with the dark blue/red delta/plaket in my userpicture. Not sure what I'll get - or how many babies will survive. I had a mass death when I left my father and sister in charge when I went away for the weekend and it was horrible.

I don't know exactly how long after the fry hatch it was, but I put a small breeder sponge/airstone in the tank to promote proper water quality and get the scum off the surface. The fry mostly hang out near the surface of the water after they hatch and even once they learn to free swim so perfect water quality is imperative.

Also make sure you get a turkey baster - not sure what the technical name is - from a fish store. It will really help you when you need to clean the bottom of the tank and don't want to disturb the nest. Make sure you always squirt the water into another container before you dump it to ensure you don't have any of the fry caught up!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'm not as knowledgeable as a lot of betta breeders but I'll do my best to help out. :)
KansaiBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #7 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansaiBlonde View Post
I know what you mean. The store that I work at didn't have BBS at all and if I wanted to order some in, I would have had to get a BIG package that I wouldn't really need. Thankfully I ended up going to Toronto and found what I needed there - one small pack of BBS for 3.99! You could try Big Al's online and see if they can ship to your area?

Microworms would be your best bet for new fry. I never managed to find any cultures but they are small enough and slow enough so that your fry should catch them. You can also try making infusoria (there are instructions online) and I actually ended up getting some frozen BBS and thawing portions out that I dripped into the tank. Some of them will be too big but I definitely noticed some being eaten!

I bred a red, white, and blue halfmoon with the dark blue/red delta/plaket in my userpicture. Not sure what I'll get - or how many babies will survive. I had a mass death when I left my father and sister in charge when I went away for the weekend and it was horrible.

I don't know exactly how long after the fry hatch it was, but I put a small breeder sponge/airstone in the tank to promote proper water quality and get the scum off the surface. The fry mostly hang out near the surface of the water after they hatch and even once they learn to free swim so perfect water quality is imperative.

Also make sure you get a turkey baster - not sure what the technical name is - from a fish store. It will really help you when you need to clean the bottom of the tank and don't want to disturb the nest. Make sure you always squirt the water into another container before you dump it to ensure you don't have any of the fry caught up!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'm not as knowledgeable as a lot of betta breeders but I'll do my best to help out. :)
Thank you lots :D And be sure that I will... I'm trying to learn as much as I can
Old 11-15-2012, 02:32 AM   #8 
vilmarisv

That price is outrageous! Are you sure you're asking for brine shrimp eggs? Reach out to local aquarist groups, I'm sure they will point you to the right direction.
You don't need a hatchery, those are expensive. All you need is a soda bottle, and airpump and some airline tubbing. You can find many tutorials online if you search for a do-it-yourself.

I would not feed Microworms exclusively. Those are good for week 2-4 at the most. White worms (not walter worms) are good for after the microworms if they are big worms.
I stopped using mw because there are some problems that can come with them.
Another food option is daphnia.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:18 AM   #9 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
That price is outrageous! Are you sure you're asking for brine shrimp eggs? Reach out to local aquarist groups, I'm sure they will point you to the right direction.
You don't need a hatchery, those are expensive. All you need is a soda bottle, and airpump and some airline tubbing. You can find many tutorials online if you search for a do-it-yourself.

I would not feed Microworms exclusively. Those are good for week 2-4 at the most. White worms (not walter worms) are good for after the microworms if they are big worms.
I stopped using mw because there are some problems that can come with them.
Another food option is daphnia.
Yeah, things have been getting really horribly expensive here, due to the wrong government being in power... tax rises, food price rises, gas rises, everything. It's horrible and things are insanely expensive. What is airline tubbing? I do have a soda bottle, and a air pump. I might look into making one myself and just looking for cheap eggs to hatch. I was also looking into daphnia and I think I might try get that too. How much of a variety of foods do you recommend for them? And also, what problems are there with mw?

Thank you
Old 11-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #10 
vilmarisv

Airline tubbing is the hose you connect to the airpump to pass the air to the filter.
It's super easy to make one!
They don't need a lot of variety, just foods that will fit into their stages.
You can use daphnia in place of bbs and jump into white worms at week 4-6.
I fed infusoria up to day 3, then switched to bbs until week 3 and fed grindal worms up to week 7 or 8. After that I fed NLS Grow pellets and freeze dried tubiflex worms.
They are now on regular adult pellets.
I only used mw a handful of times when I was on a hurry.
Mw sink to the bottom which keeps fry there and baceria lives at the bottom of the tank because of all the waste and food.
If tank is not kept immaculate, your fry can suffer from missing ventrals.
Because bbs swim, they keep the fry active and searchign for food. Which IMO also helps with their development and aids faster growth.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote