Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #1 
Jrf456

Water change day thread!

I don't quite know if this is already a thread, but this is where you can post about water changes, your routines, rants or procrastinations (I'm four days behind D:)
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

my water change schedule about.... once every 90days? XD
that's for my 2.5 gallon.

for my 2-3g cherry shrimp NPT by the window, maybe once a month or once every two weeks.

andddddd for the not so planted 1 gallon (but still a lot of plants) once a week WC :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #3 
sainthogan

once a week, but I will probably up it to 2 when my new fish gets here because his tank is smaller and will need 2 water changes a week. Both are filtered and planted (apparently not cycled though.)
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #4 
Jrf456

I try so hard to stay on the 1 water change a week schedule but I always seem to slack, rofl. I finally did mine today, but I was 12 days instead of 7 days this time.
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #5 
DragonFish

Haha, I'm HORRIBLE about procrastinating things.....but I'm also a little OCD, so once I get into a routine with something, I'm generally pretty religious about it as it...well, bothers me when I'm not. A tad bit redundant sounding, I know, but its kinda true......its hard to explain really.

Over the course of my fish keeping years, the past year and a half or so I've been a little lazy with water changes and maintenance due to various reasons, though this summer I really jumped back into the hobby full force and have since been very especially diligent with my water changes, slipping up a couple of times only because I've been having some trouble with my health and was actually physically unable to preform water changes.

I get my handy-dandy Pyhton(seriously, I'm in LOVE with this thing....a little expensive, but one of the best investments I've ever made)out three times a week; Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. 8 out of 9 tanks currently set up, ranging from about 2-10 gallons. Monday my smaller tanks get a 75% change, Wenesday everyone gets a 50-ish% change, and Friday my smaller tanks get their 100% changes.
Sounds like a lot of work, and I'm always whining to myself about it, but really its not all that much and doesn't ever take me nearly as long as I make it out in my head to. xD Lol
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #6 
Butterfly

I'm a procrastinator uggrrrhhhhh going to do a partial change right now. Can't wait until the big tank comes.
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #7 
Saphira101

I try do do mine every Sunday, but I still procrastinate sometimes. :\
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #8 
aemaki09

I dont procrastinate, but i really am getting sick of doing it so often! I have too many tanks & bowls and not enough time, I am basically doing atleast 1 change every day! I cannot wait for my friend to get her tank cycled so I can send the fish from one of my overstocked community tanks over to her so I can finally make it a sorority tank and with less fish will have to do less frequent changes!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #9 
fleetfish

Ehhh I gotta do mine today, now or never! And also clean some empty tanks for the three newbs I got yesterday ^__^
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #10 
pittipuppylove

I don't procrastinate, per say... I just get carried away with studying.

But all of my tanks get a 50% water change once a week and I have 35 gallons total between the four tanks, so I have to remove a total of 17 gallons of dirty waterand replace it with the same amount of clean water. All of this isn't bad until you factor in that I have to move all that water in a 2.5 gallon bucket between my dorm room and the floor bathroom. My floor-mates think I'm crazy. Totally worth it to keep the fish happy, but a pain in the rear none-the-less.

Then I have one tank that has a nasty cyanobacteria outbreak which is just driving me mad (-er than normal ). I have to do two changes a week on that one - I feel bad for the bettas in that tank, poor guys think they're under attack.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote