Old 10-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #11 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Raw shrimp is great in cycling.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #12 
resh2rei

Hello everyone!

Thank you for your advice! I purchased another betta this morning and acclimatized him properly. The other one must've been a little compromised from the start, because this one is so much more active! I named him Firecracker because of the way he moves, and he seems perfectly happy :).

I have another question actually: Would the stability of the surface the tank is on affect the health of the betta?

My tank is on my desk, which is a bit wobbly - when I close drawers to hit the desk it wobbles - is this a problem? I could move him to a foldable table.

Thank you guys! I'll be posting a picture soon :).
resh2rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #13 
Gracie8890

I could become a problem, however i dont think it will be. If it wobbles way to much and he starts looking stressed then move him! But i think he will be ok for now. Would love to see a pic!
Gracie8890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #14 
Saphira101

Quote:
Originally Posted by resh2rei View Post
Thank you for your advice guys! And yes, I acclimated him to the temperature for almost half an hour and then put him him. Should I have added water into the bag first? Like I said, he seemed fine for a bit after I put him in, exploring and such, but then it got worse. He never really swam at the top of the tank, however, and I thought he was supposed to be...maybe he actually wasn't well when I bought him. The bamboo is lucky bamboo I think, and the bottom (with roots) is inside the tank but the top half is sticking out.

Now that he's died in the tank and I've removed him, I should change all the water, wash the filter etc? How do you wash a filter and not get rid of the good bacteria in it?
I'm so sorry about your fish. for next time, here's how I acclimate a new fish to my water/temp; by pouring water from the tank into the bag every 15 minutes for an hour, then netting my fish into the tank. (don't pour any bag water in your tank, replace the lost water by doing a partial water change.) this gets the fish slowly acclimated to the temperature as well as the pH of the water without having to float the bag. Good luck,-Saphira

Last edited by Saphira101; 11-15-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #15 
Myates

A 2 gallon won't properly cycle - the surface area is too small to keep a stable cycle going. So there is no point in waiting weeks to "cycle" it.. the beneficial bacteria will colonize on it's own as time goes and hold what cycle it can in the filter media. But the tank won't be cycled like a larger tank would be.

You got some great advice from Oldfishlady, definitely follow it to a T for the best chance of keeping the next new guy safe and healthy.

Good luck...
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #16 
Freyja
Banned

+1 to Myates and OFL. It does sound like your betta was already compromised and weak, which is not uncommon for a store betta. Live and learn. Good luck!
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #17 
Wendyjo

Hmmmm my 2.5 gallon tanks have been cycled for years. You can cycle anything as long as the conditions are right.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #18 
Myates

It is not cycled as a larger tank is.. yes, you will have your good bacteria in the filter media.. and with proper water changes your test numbers will be good. But the size of the water surface is too small to hold a true cycle. Five gallons tends to be the smallest tank size to hold a steady cycle.

OFL can explain this more precise if need be.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Surface to water exchange affects stocking and how mich O2 water gets Ito the water and helps get rid of things like nitrogen.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #20 
Wendyjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
It is not cycled as a larger tank is.. yes, you will have your good bacteria in the filter media.. and with proper water changes your test numbers will be good. But the size of the water surface is too small to hold a true cycle. Five gallons tends to be the smallest tank size to hold a steady cycle.

OFL can explain this more precise if need be.
Yeah I'd be interested in hearing this because as far as I know as long as you have all the species of bacteria needed, and they are being fed, oxygenated and kept warm enough to survive, then you have a successful cycle and you can cycle a glass of water under those conditions.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead betta, new betta and setup, sudden