Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 03:50 AM   #11 
moonsand0wls

Sorry, one more question. Would this feeding-plan be OKAY?

First three days: Daphnia
Three days to four weeks: Daphnia (or BBS) if I can get it. Or Micro-worms if it's all that's in hand?
Week four to 7: White worms
7 weeks +: A mixture of blood worms, white worms, and what I feed my adults? (Tetra's Betta Tropical Mix Medley - flakes and dried shrimp)

Does that sound okay? I'm trying to find out as much as I can and some things I can only learn properly by asking people who have had trial and error. Apologies for the questions.

moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:00 AM   #12 
vilmarisv

All you need in their first week is infusoria and that you just get by placing a plant in the spawn tank with the parents. By the time your fry are free swimming you will have many critters in the tank for them to feed.

If you must use microworms, then I wouldn't feed past the 2nd week if your fry are growing nicely.

Have you checked buying brine shrimp eggs online? I'm sure if you dig hard enough you'll be able to find someone who ships to NZ. Eggs are expensive here but not as much as there.

If you can't get bbs or daphnia I would feed the white worms as soon as your fis can eat them. You will think they are too small but they will still go after them.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:14 AM   #13 
moonsand0wls

So... I won't need to actually introduce food into the tank on the first week as long as I have live tanks in the plant? :)

I am checking brine shrimp eggs online right now - there is 454 grams for $153.50, though I don't think I will need that much, would I? - And there's a 20 gram part that's $13.50. Would I need a LOT of eggs? I don't think I want to use micro worms now. I'm going to try and avoid them.

Would daphnia, white-worms and adult food be an okay variation past four weeks?

Sorry for the questions. I'm making a book so I can learn this. :)
Old 11-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #14 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Age water with dried leaves and live plants outside (where you know there are lots of small insects) for about 2 weeks. Use 2/3 top part of water for breeding - add more regular water until you have the desired level. This should give you infusoria for their first few days.

I usually dump lots of daphnia and leave them to die. After 3 weeks there will always be tones of micro critters. Then I add some tubifex and daphnia as I put the male in. About week 4 I breed. I feed egg yolk (just a tiny bit) for the first few days to 1 week (depending on fry growth). I start adding daphnia around day 3-4 and hope they will reproduce and supply fry with tiny food. I keep feeding daphnia until fry is big enough to eat blood worms. Tubifex is always in there since dad goes in and until fry is big enough to eat frozen blood worms.

BBS/tiny worms are IMO the best first food for fry. Later switch to daphnia and tubifex until they can eat crushed/chopped adult food.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #15 
crowntaillove

I don't mean to interupt your thread, but since we're on the topic I thought I'd ask. :]

Why isn't it a good idea to exclusviely feed one type of food?
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #16 
moonsand0wls