Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #51 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
So when/how do you add plants?
  • Do you plant the plants in the soil and then add the cap, or do you plant the plants after you add the cap?
  • Do you plant with some water in it already or do you plant without water?
  • How do you add in water without disturbing the plants and sand/soil?

I don't think it matters how you put the plants in but I'd recommend putting them in the soil then put the cap on because I put them in after I put that cap on and after I put the water in and it made a mess but I was too frustrated to start over but it still looks nice!
Usually after you put in sand and soil the water will get cloudy and you will most likely have to do like 3 or 4 water changes[what I did] for the water to get clear.

AS far as adding water without disturbing the plants, Its a semi-long process but it worked for me, use a plastic cup to add the water in verrrry slowly cause if you try to rush it, it will make the mess bigger.
From my experience last night. I'll post some pictures for you to see in a minute[ FINALLY GOT TO TAKE PICTURES!]
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #52 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsKourtneyYoC8 View Post
I don't think it matters how you put the plants in but I'd recommend putting them in the soil then put the cap on because I put them in after I put that cap on and after I put the water in and it made a mess but I was too frustrated to start over but it still looks nice!
Usually after you put in sand and soil the water will get cloudy and you will most likely have to do like 3 or 4 water changes[what I did] for the water to get clear.

AS far as adding water without disturbing the plants, Its a semi-long process but it worked for me, use a plastic cup to add the water in verrrry slowly cause if you try to rush it, it will make the mess bigger.
From my experience last night. I'll post some pictures for you to see in a minute[ FINALLY GOT TO TAKE PICTURES!]

p.S I used a 1 gallon water pitcher to ad water in from the cup.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #53 
Oldfishlady

I place my dry soil-then add water-just enough to cover the dirt-then I add my dry sand-then I fill with water-drain-repeat until clear-Then with about 3-4inches of water-I plant. Then fill, drain if needed-refill...etc...until clear-usually only take 2-3 water changes-if done correctly.

I use my free hand to divert the water flow so not to kick up the dirt/sand or depending on the hard scape item-I might direct the water flow on it.

I let the water settle for at least 5 min between changes to allow the sand to settle.

I already have my hard scape in place before I add the sand cap

I also might add more sand if needed after I am done and sometimes I will use a small handful of gravel or larger rock at the roots of stem plants to help keep them in place.

I like to plant my rosette plants (swords, crypts, sags, vals..etc...) after the cap-you want their crown to be slightly above the substrate-
Stem plants can be planted before or after the cap-I have found it easier to plant after the cap.

When I make the water changes for setup-I don't drain 100% of the water-I may only remove 50-75%-then refill-this will help avoid too much disturbance of the soil/sand or up-rooting plants.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #54 
OrangeAugust

Ok, thanks!
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #55 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Here is the link for my thread about my NPT and Ghost shrimpies :3

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....31#post1272831
Old 10-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #56 
titolatino1970

ok i did it lets see if its good set it up last night i diy the cover with egg crate its for drop ceiling lights. the lights are 2 20 wht 6500k ge's and 1 26 wht 6500k ge clamp lights. 1 more partial water change and ill add my girls

jj
titolatino1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #57 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

is it okay to use 2 different substrate as the cap? Like sand and small river pebbles for example?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #58 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsKourtneyYoC8 View Post
is it okay to use 2 different substrate as the cap? Like sand and small river pebbles for example?
Yes its fine...I do this on occasion myself-Just try to keep your cap half as much as your soil layer. The cap is only to help hold the soil in place until it matures-plus it is easier to clean than soil.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #59 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Yes its fine...I do this on occasion myself-Just try to keep your cap half as much as your soil layer. The cap is only to help hold the soil in place until it matures-plus it is easier to clean than soil.

Sweet :D

Thanks a bunch, you have been such a HUUUGE help >.<
Old 11-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #60 
ringo3632

Great thread! is there any other kind of livestock that you recommend to aerate the soil? the snails are small and easy, i just don't like cleaning them out of my tanks all the time. Or maybe using some kinda of other live stock that feeds on the snails?
ringo3632 is offline   Reply With Quote