Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #21 
ao
TFK Moderator

ofcourse you can :) Nerites are no hassle at all. if you dont have much alage in the tank, Feeding the occassional blanched spinach will help keep it fed
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #22 
sandrac8388

But nerites will eat dead plant matter right? I'm so uneducated lol.
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #23 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrac8388 View Post
But nerites will eat dead plant matter right? I'm so uneducated lol.
I've never seen mine do it so I cant say for sure :P but theoretically if they eat blanched spinach, they should also eat dying plant matter
Old 11-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #24 
Maddybelle

Aokashi, I love this thread! Shame you forgot apple snails, though. Ah, well:

Apple snails in general:
All apple snails (genus Pomacea) have both a lung and a gill. They breath from the surface using a muscular flap that they roll into a tube called a siphon. Apple snails have distinct genders: males have the standard male "equipment", females obviously don't. Females lay eggs above the waterline in hard clumps, which can easily be removed if you don't want hundreds of tiny snail babies. Eggs hatch in 2-4 weeks, depending on the air temperature, and must be kept damp, but not wet. Adults do not eat algae unless cruelly starved, but babies and juveniles will snack on it. Algea wafers, blanched/boiled veggies, and sinking fish food provide a balanced and varied diet.

Cana complex snails: Pomacea canliculata, P. haustrum, P. maculata P. paludosa, P. insularum

These guys get BIG! There really is no getting around the 2.5 gal rule here: honestly these guys need about 5 gal each, minimum. The different species of the Cana complex look very similar, and can be nearly indistinguishable except by looking at the shape, size, and color of their eggs. These gentle giants will see your prized plants as an all you can eat salad bar, so don't put them in a tank with live plants. All members of the Cana complex are currently illegal to transport across state lines. (USA)

Pomacea diffusa (bridgesii):

Nowhere near as big as snails of the Cana complex, P. diffusa (previously P. bridgesii) grow to around the size of a golfball. These charming little snails come in many colors: gold, ivory, wild, chestnut, blue, jade, and several shades of purple. They are the most common species of apple snail seen in pet stores across the US, and most will not eat live plants, but will "prune" bits that are dead or dying.
Pomacea diffusa egg clutch

Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #25 
Tikibirds

I stick 2 algae waffers in the tank every few days but I think the bettas are the ones that eat it. I have omega one algae pellets and wardly. I would think the omega one is a better brand. I know wardly betta food is supposed to be pretty bad, I'm thinking its the same with pellets. There are also these things called tank nibbles that I find at walmart. I'm guessing they are pretty bad nutrition wise but fish seem to love them. They stick on the tank wall and pick at it. I think its made by Tetra.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #26 
ao
TFK Moderator

speaking of apple snails, if anyone owns spixis please be aware that these are legal to own, but illegal to transport over state lines or sell...

it's a pity since they are pretty cool snails. they eat just about eerything including other snails :D

I did originally write this to talk about it in terms of hitch hikers XD someone should write a snail article for the compatibility forum...

and and I got a free horned nerite from petco yesterday. it was so tiny they didnt know what it was :P

meet nerite and nerite jr!

Last edited by ao; 11-15-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #27 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Great article ! I have pond snails that came on plants and I put them in their own little half gallon tank and they are so cute and fun to watch, the little one will hitch a ride on the bigger ones...lol They will also whack each other with their shell if they dont want to be bothered also funny to see. Oh and I love how they glide on top of the water.

Last edited by Perseusmom; 11-15-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #28 
BettaQi

Another great thread!

My ivory mystery snail is huge! And he eats like a pig!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #29 
RandyTheBettaFish

How big do zebra nerite snails get?
RandyTheBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #30 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyTheBettaFish View Post
How big do zebra nerite snails get?
I've never seen one larger than an inch....

The ones I have are pretty small, one is 1/2 in and the other is less than 1/4in XD